Canister Filter

kuruptedseed

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Orlando, Fl
I bought and installed a used canister filter for my 55gal tank.. I cleaned all media and replaced all pads and filters.. It's been running for close to 3 weeks now.. I still have my biowheel 200 and 350 running in the tank to supply adequate biological filtration as the canister develops it's own.. My question is how long of a timeframe should I be running all 3 filters? When is it safe to pull the plug on the creaky biowheels? Thx in advance

Mikey
 
I would suggest 4 weeks minimum, although it kinda depends on what fish you have, if you have very messy fish like plecs, oscars, then more like 6 weeks to be on the safe side.
 
i would only add that it might be good if you decommissioned the bio wheels one at a time, small one first, with say a week between. just to be on the safe side.
perhaps also rinse the bio wheel itself, in the tank, as you remove it. if you use refillable cassettes, and don't use carbon, do the same with them too.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top