canister filter bio media

corbind

Reaction score
As a thirty-somethin' guy I have better things to do than to stress about so many different things I know nothing or very little about. I'm losing hair trying to read so much lately.

Ok, so if you have say a 7 liter canister filter and want to grow huge coloinies of good bacteria what media would you use? Those plastic bio balls? Plastic bio stars? Ceramic circles? Sintered (yea, like I know what that means--lol) glass? I came across this product earlier and it sound good from the marketing:

http://www.seachem.com/seachemframeset.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=SC3175

So what do the real aquarists use? I'd hate to buy the totally wrong product and waste $50 on bio balls I won't use (I think someone said those are really too big for canisters and better for auxiliary tanks).

Please let me know what you think and thanks for responding! :nod:

The best media out at the moment for surface area (hence colony size) is Eheim Substrat, looks like little white rocks but has a surface area of 450 Square meters of surface area per litre of media, amazing stuff and never really needs replacing. My canister filter has a course sponge then the substrat then another course sponge as a seperater, then floss then another sponge to hold it all in.

Any smaller sized substrate will work equally well - lots of brands that all do the same job. Bio-balls are not recommended in canisters, they are too big and very limited in how many you can use.

In my canisters I use nothing but filter floss - super cheap to replace, hold as much bacteria as any media, and doubles ans an incredible mechanical media too.

In my Eheims I use FIlter floss and large gravel all the way through. Wash half the gravel in tank water every few weeks and your laughing! :lol:

Have to agree with Lithril, the Eheim Substrat is the canaries ankles!
I use it in my Juwel filter too, instead of the carbon sponge.

Ken

Well, guess I'll stuff the Eheim 2028 with lots of EHFISUBSTRATE. The capacity of the filter is 7L. I believe they sell the stuff in 1 liter or 4 liter packages. Do you think I could use 4 liters?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back