Can you use freshwater equipment for a marine tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

andrew114

Reaction score
I have had lots of fun with freshwater aquariums and feel like a marine tank would be a good thing to try. I currently have just your regular HOB filters (think it's an aquaclear model) and heaters. Curious if I can use these to start up a basic fish only marine tank. Would the salts mess the HOB filters up? If any one has any advice it would be much appreciated. Cheers :)
Sarkari job

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF! :hi:

Yes, you can use freshwater equipment in saltwater. (Only thing you may not be able to use, is the light. If you plan to get live corals, you will need a different light)

Yes you can use freshwater aquarium equipment (heaters, filters, pumps, lights, etc) for marine tanks. It is EXACTLY the same stuff.

Marine tanks have salt creep, which is from air bubbles popping on filters, lights, coverglass, and the water evaporates leaving behind the mineral salts. You can wipe this off with a damp sponge.

Marine tanks have salt creep, which is from air bubbles popping on filters, lights, coverglass, and the water evaporates leaving behind the mineral salts. You can wipe this off with a damp sponge.
Here’s an example:
6ED9D9F7-7542-498D-9206-A43559B9B5BC.jpeg
5EB5F006-5CF6-4767-BC04-119B87E30A6A.jpeg

Yes you can use freshwater aquarium equipment (heaters, filters, pumps, lights, etc) for marine tanks. It is EXACTLY the same stuff.

@Colin_T has gone over this very topic many times and his answer is always the same. Listen to him !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back