Can You Turn Off My Betta Tank Heater At Night Time ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

alien-planet

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there i have a betta complete with a tank , heater , thermostat and a air filter now the question is as above is it ok to turn off the heater at night while i sleep and turn it back on in the morning ?

using my head i can only imagine if it was in the wild the tempter of water will drop at night and rise again in the morning.

by the way its a PVC tank and NO it does not melt the tank that's just a theory i had this tank with heater for ages.

Why do you want to turn it off? Temperature fluctuations are not ideal for fish, particularly those kept in aquaria. It is true that in the wild the temperature does drop, but in Thailand (where betta fish are found wild) it stays warm enough that the temperature does not drastically alter the temp. At least, that's how I think it works. 

Regardless, best to keep the temperature steady.

I keep my betta tank heater on at all times. You don't have to, and probably shouldn't, turn it off at night.

No, I would not turn it off. You want him to be kept at a minimum of 78F (25.5C?) at all times. It will turn off on it's own when it gets to the desired temperature. :)

No problem i totally understand about keeping it on etc .. Because it helps fight bacteria and helps fish but the heater is set at 26 decrease Celsius which is fantastic for the betta but the thermostat appears to jumped a bit higher passed the 80 mark which i don't want it to as its perfect at that temp for my fish so i decided instead of turning it off at night i turn it down from 26 to 24 degrees Celsius. Doing this keeps the fish safe in my eyes and keeps it fluxing within the temp that's ideal for the fish. But every morning i will return it back to 26 (80 degrees f) a temp it loves best.

Please don't turn it down to 24C. That's too cold for the betta. It can go up to 86F so I would not worry about it being too warm.

^_^ Have any pics of him?

What thermometer are you using? Those stick on ones are totally inaccurate and the digital ones with probes are better.
They really do need a constant temperature otherwise they become susceptible to infections and other problems if it fluctuates too much. 

Heres the video of my Siamese fighter betta fish. Its a small video i made coz in pleased with it ,

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opqcmAI9htQ

i got a much bigger tank in the room but i cannot put him inside it until i did finishing it with hard scaping, plants etc... Going to make it into a community tank.

i was thinking of replacing the gravel with sand what do you guys n girls think ?

You're cycling the other tank as well, right? Just checking :)

Sand is easier to clean & looks more natural IMO so would definitely do that.

Be sure to keep his current tank around as he may not like having tankmates in the bigger tank. What are you going to add with him?

Oh and I think it looks dark! :p But he has a lovely long tail~

It does look a bit dark but i can ensure you that's because the curtains was closed i took video at 8am in morning hence darkness but hes got plenty of light.

well i got 4 goldfish in the big tank but going to donate 2. Of 4 goldfish to the pet shop so i be having the following

5 neons tera ( i think u call them ), 2goldfish, 1 betta and my albino frog. The tank you seen in video i will defo keep incase it don't work out.

btw i said above that small tank is PVC that was a mistake it is acrylic tank. Wtf i got PVC from no idea lol

Ahh okay. I'd donate all the goldfish really, as they should not be mixed with tropical fish like bettas or neons. Neons are quite likely to nip the betta so keep an eye out for that or maybe go with something else? :)

What size is the new tank btw?

Well the tank is 96litres i think but i wont really know for myself until i empty it and have it fixed up as the community tank when i do this i will get an excact litres / gallons when i refill it myself for the right number. 96 ltrs is only a guess atm but i think it maybe bigger.

get rid of the goldfish your most likely correct as they are more messy to handle i prefer to get rid of them but daughter wont be pleased as they was a small birthday gift to her lol but in sure a little talk will persuade to get rid

If it is 96l it'd only be big enough for one fancy anyways (are they fancy or common?), though I can see how it'd be hard if they're a birthday gift! Hopefully she takes it okay :) Be sure to share some pics when it's all set up!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back