🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

josh41478

Reaction score
IMG_0387.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 106
Corydoras aeneus, common names Green Cory, sometimes Emerald though that usually refers to the much bigger "Brochis" species. You need a group of at least five, preferably a few more if you have the tank space.

Edit. Another common name I forgot earlier is Bronze Cory.

Last edited:
Looks like a green Cory cat. Some people call them emerald corydoras. They need to be in groups of 6 or more.
(Not meaning to copy you @Byron. ;))

i have 2 albino ones in the tank with them would you suggest getting any more for a 55 Gallon tank.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Do you have other fish besides the cory in your tank? Albino cory like all cory need to be in groups of 6 or more if possible.

Last edited:
I have:
> 6 Albino tiger Barbs
>4 Corycatfish
>2 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (Double reds)
>2 gold Dojo Loach
>2 Clown Loach
>1 Hillstream Loach

I have:
> 6 Albino tiger Barbs
>4 Corycatfish
>2 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (Double reds)
>2 gold Dojo Loach
>2 Clown Loach
>1 Hillstream Loach

Yes, you definitely should have more Corydoras; given you have the space, a group of 10-12 would be my suggestion for minimum here.

However, now I notice another serious issue, the various loaches.
  • Loaches and cories should never be together in the same tank.
  • Clown loaches must have a group of five (or more) and early on, meaning, you cannot have two or three for a couple months, then get more. They need an 8-foot tank, as they grow to 8 inches (some much longer) within a matter of months and need this space to establish their hierarchy and territories early.
  • The Hillstream Loach needs its own tank because of its requirement for lower temperatures and water currents must be significant. This is not a community fish in the normal sense of the term.
Tiger Barbs should have 10-12 in the group to deal with their normal aggressive nature. This is not a good species to have with Apistogramma (any cichlid actually) as the sedate cichlids can frequently be pestered (putting it mildly, more often fin nipped to death) by this fish.

And before you say it, if these fish have been together for more than just a few weeks, the fact that you may not see any aggression does not mean it is not occurring. Nor does it mean that the fish may literally overnight change to be true to their instincts. Providing the appropriate environment (environment meaning all aspects from tank size tyo paramters to decor to other species) for each species is a mandatory need for healthy fish.

ive had my tank for about a week now they all seem fine together ill take what you said in to consideration.

Corydoras aeneus, common names Green Cory, sometimes Emerald though that usually refers to the much bigger "Brochis" species. You need a group of at least five, preferably a few more if you have the tank space.

Edit. Another common name I forgot earlier is Bronze Cory.
that is the name i bought them by. (Bronze Corydoras)

ive had my tank for about a week now they all seem fine together ill take what you said in to consideration.

It is not too late, but even another week could be the death of those loaches for the reasons mentioned previously. This is a very serious issue. We all have gone through it and learned, but my aim is to save your fish. The clowns and Hillstream and dojo should go back to the store ASAP or they are going to be affected and none of us want to see that.

When fish are introduced to a new environment, they tend not to display their true nature for a time, be it a few days or a couple weeks, so it is misleading you to think all is well, when in fact the worst is only around the corner. The fish are stil adjusting, but once settled, negative issues impact them and they suffer for it.

Even if they may seem “fine”, it’s what you don’t see that could hurt them. If you have another empty tank, move them over. (Assuming the empty tank is cycled) If not, try to return them, or sell them to your LFS.

Even if they may seem “fine”, it’s what you don’t see that could hurt them. If you have another empty tank, move them over. (Assuming the empty tank is cycled) If not, try to return them, or sell them to your LFS.
they are all under 3 inches in size they should be fine they are all fry .

They still need to be in a group of 6 or more. Just for now, 3 is OK. But I strongly suggest getting more.

they are all under 3 inches in size they should be fine they are all fry .

The issue is not size, at least not immediately, but numbers. I am assuming from your posts that you may not be aware of the shoaling issue, so I will explain as best as I can.

Freshwater fish that are a shoaling species must be in a group from day one. This has consequences, and depending upon the species these may be severe. This shoaling need is programmed into the fish's DNA, and it applies to all characins (tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish), rainbowfish, cyprinids (barbs, rasboras, danios, loaches), some catfish (Corydoras for one). Some species just need the safety of having the shoal, while others may have hierarchical issues. When shoaling fish are denied a group, it has severe consequences which may not even be noticed for weeks, but this is causing stress which slowly weakens the fish. Down the road, they are more likely to succumb to health problems, aggression (or the opposite), and always will have a premature death long before the normal lifespan. Please read the blue and (especially) green statements in my signature block, they are relevant here.

Loaches are highly social fish; in their habitat they live in groups and they develop an hierarchy within that group. Scientific understanding has determined that five is the minimum for loach groups. When two, three or usually four of the species are together, the hierarchy does not develop the way it should (with more) and while this may not seem problematic it can quickly become so. The fish usually find one to bully when there are too few to supply an adequate shoal, and this can go unnoticed until the fish becomes withdrawn and dies. It is quite simply cruel to the fish to deny them what they "expect."

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back