Can You Check My Stocking?

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
2,211
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
For my 35 US gallon, dimensions 24"Length X 16"Width X 21"Height,

2 X Kribs
5 X Black Neon Tetras
5 X Green Neon Tetras
5 X Neon Tetras


and can anyone suggest what other fish I could keep in my tank? I especially do not want something that will threaten potential krib spawn
 
Personally, I'd leave it at that: you're top end of stocking.. if you insist on adding something and the tank is planted and has sandy substrate, then I would add 5-6 dwarf corys.
 
reason I was staying away from cories is I know kribs can become very defensive of their nesting cave...I wouldn't want to put cories in there just to get beat up!

and also this is not a stocked tank yet...I am trying to plan stocking...

The kribs are the focal point...

other suggestions are welcome!

- the tank has silica sand substrate and is being used to house my african clawed frogs while I set their tank up - they are in there to keep the filter mature....

once I figure out what I want my stocking to be, I will remove the frogs and add the stock into a nice matured tank :)
 
Well, I've seen the two kept together without a problem before and the corys probably won't be bothered unless the kribs are actually breeding / corys are after the eggs, at which point the tetras are probably in just as much danger anyway..
 
hmmm your tetras like most would look at those eggs as a delicous meal however i think no danger comes to the tetras kribs wont catch them on a rebound, tetras will get spooked dart off and learn after time to stay away
 
considering the kribs will mostly likely lay the eggs in one of the caves, and spend a good deal of time guarding the cave, I do not think many eggs would become a snack...and what I particularly like about the tetras is their size - their mouth is not a significant threat to the fry once the parents start schooling them around.
 
I don't quite get why kitty kat says it's 'top end of stocking'...

How about some hatchet fish? They're 100% top feeders and practically never leave the surface so not even a possible threat.
You'd need a group of 5 for sure, 8 would fit comfortably. Make sure you go for the 'common' hatchetfish. As it only grows from 2-3".

Make sure you have a reasonable filter (or an additional one on hand), to help with bioload when you're raising fry. Unless of course you have a seperate tank for raising them on.

Some peaceful killifish may also be a possibility, but I'm not sure on that.
 
so for a stocking recap :)

2 x krib
15-18 mixed tetra
5-8 common hatchet fish


sound good? :)
 
I would stick to the 15 tetras if it were me (though if it were me I'd probably only have one type aswell...but that's just personal preference).

But yes,
2 Krib
15 Tetra
5-8 Common Hatchet Fish

Sounds fine to me. :)
 
will the different tetras mix into one shoal or will they group together?
 
The Greens and Neons should shoal together nicely. You might find the Blacks are a bit more 'seperate' though.

Greens are just line bred neons, so are practically the same species and should still recognise eachother as such. Black neons are a completely different species.

Eitherways they'll look good as a group. It's just my personal preference to have one species.
 
last i was aware neon tetras were paracheirodon innesi, green neon tetras were paracheirodon simulans and black neon tetras were hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi

the classifications may have changed recently but that's what i last read
 
Different species but only very recently derived, and from a common ancestor.

Do we know if anyone has actually tried to breed them? I'm guessing they could probably crossbreed...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top