Can you actually buy fish online?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Someone told me you can buy fish online and get fish delivered to the house is this true? Sounds cruel to me
Professional aquariums like The Georgia Aquarium buy fish from suppliers often and probably online. They receive shipments almost daily if not weekly. It is a good way to buy fish and other aquatic life that are not normally found in the local stores.

Another place to look online for fish and plants is the website Aquabid.com It is an auction website and the sellers are mostly based in the US but I do see auctions from the UK and Canada and in Asia. Most of the sellers are people breeding fish in their home but a few are commercial suppliers selling online also. There is a feedback system built into the system so you can see how many auctions the seller has sold and how his buyers have rated them as well as reading their feedback. It's been online since 2000.

Aquabid is a good place. it is the only place you can really get killies, but then you just get eggs..

Like someone said.. long ago.. I bought all my African's on line.. But I did not trust the mail service so I used airfreight. Had to pick up at the airport, but all were fine and healthy.

go for it!!

I am in the US, but let me relate a story. I have never had fish shipped before, and had never considered it to be something I would care to do... I have had chicks shipped by mail, and never had an issue, nice healthy animals. But fish?
Then, I get re-activated into breeding fish (thanks to my BN plecos), sparking my interest to seek things I was not finding near me. The breeder swap for spring all canceled for the year (pandemic) but I wanted something else to fill my time, so order some platys off aquabid. Guy had wonderful rep, so I bought the fish I could not find locally and price include shipping (3 day or less)...cost was comp to what I would pay for these locally but know I was getting the color genes I wanted and the health had to be better!!!
The shipment was sent last week, on monday. , tracking was on point, delivery by 8pm on Thurs... By this time last wednesday, story changed and they flat out told me the package would arrive late, MAYBE the next day. It did. I was so disappointed, Fish soup.... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Contacted the seller, we both felt terrible but I know it was not his fault. He reshipped on monday... Delv tomorrow by 8pm.... AS I a writing, the mail truck pulled up... took a break from this!!!

WOW ! They made and they are all alive and well, JUST WOW! Very happy breeding hope are these red wag platys to keep them pure, but also mix with the hifins I already have.... wish me luck!!
PS let the breeder know that when I get to the hifins in his strains colors, he is welcome of get some genes back from me, once ship fish successfully myself!!!

Attachments

• DSCN7077.JPG
    DSCN7077.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN7063_Moment(8).jpg
    DSCN7063_Moment(8).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 40
I am in the US, but let me relate a story. I have never had fish shipped before, and had never considered it to be something I would care to do... I have had chicks shipped by mail, and never had an issue, nice healthy animals. But fish?
Then, I get re-activated into breeding fish (thanks to my BN plecos), sparking my interest to seek things I was not finding near me. The breeder swap for spring all canceled for the year (pandemic) but I wanted something else to fill my time, so order some platys off aquabid. Guy had wonderful rep, so I bought the fish I could not find locally and price include shipping (3 day or less)...cost was comp to what I would pay for these locally but know I was getting the color genes I wanted and the health had to be better!!!
The shipment was sent last week, on monday. , tracking was on point, delivery by 8pm on Thurs... By this time last wednesday, story changed and they flat out told me the package would arrive late, MAYBE the next day. It did. I was so disappointed, Fish soup.... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Contacted the seller, we both felt terrible but I know it was not his fault. He reshipped on monday... Delv tomorrow by 8pm.... AS I a writing, the mail truck pulled up... took a break from this!!!

WOW ! They made and they are all alive and well, JUST WOW! Very happy breeding hope are these red wag platys to keep them pure, but also mix with the hifins I already have.... wish me luck!!
PS let the breeder know that when I get to the hifins in his strains colors, he is welcome of get some genes back from me, once ship fish successfully myself!!!
So pretty

Check out Aquabid which is like ebay for fish. They sometimes have sellers in the UK. If you look at the killies page, there are a number of breeders from all over Europe.

Someone told me you can buy fish online and get fish delivered to the house is this true? Sounds cruel to me

Yes, that also apply to all LFS which will either order through online or through telephone calls, etc, for their fish stocks.

All LFS received their fish either through air flights or land transports(if the fish farms are located near the LFS).
They will have to quickly acclimatize the fish once they arrive at their shops.

If some countries, they can order the fish and get them sent by normal land transport because the fish farms are in the same or nearby cities.

The fish breeders have to prepare their fish before sending them to the buyers to ensure that they arrive safely and survive the trips.
You can search internets on how the breeders prepare their fish before shipment.

Last edited:
Professional suppliers should be closed as their couriers cannot work in the current UK lockdown.
Yup, In NZ you can only order essential’s during the lockdown, no fish. Also, I could be wrong... I don’t think we (NZ consumers) can order fish internationally, may need a permit... that to me would be cruel, and a waste of $$. I’m finding out during the lockdown there are some fish and plants that are banned here. Just my 2c worth.

Yup, In NZ you can only order essential’s during the lockdown, no fish. Also, I could be wrong... I don’t think we (NZ consumers) can order fish internationally, may need a permit... that to me would be cruel, and a waste of $$. I’m finding out during the lockdown there are some fish and plants that are banned here. Just my 2c worth.
Yeah I dont think in new Zealand you can do international

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back