Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can we use old tap water for fish without adding dechlorinator

Discussion in 'Cycle your Tank' started by Aniket, May 13, 2019.

1. Aniket

Aniket Fish Crazy

One of my friend dont have bore well water and dechlorinator. is it possible to remove chlorine and chloramine (if present in water) by keeping tap water in direct sunlight for 2 days?
    Here temperature is in between 28-40 degree

2. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier. New Member

No. Any chlorine is detrimental to the health of your fish. Tell your friend that THEY MUST have chlorine remover. If you live near a walmart or something else you can go there an buy chlorine remover for a very reasonable price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Crazy

Yes, I like to use Tetra Aquasafe. It was like only $5 a bottle.

Even if your friend has good water already. You just never know. One day it might be chlorine free, the next day, all of his fish are dead. Use water conditioner. It’s a must in fishkeeping!!

I here that Seachem also makes a really good water conditioner, I just have only used Tetra brand AQUASAFE. :) image.jpg

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Short answer is yes to chlorine, no for chloramine.

Your friend will have to contact their water company and find out if there is chlorine or chloramine in the water supply. If it has chlorine then they are good to go; if it's chloramine, buy a couple of bottles of dechlorinator for them.

---------------------
    I have copy & pasted my response from that thread here.

If by chlorine water, you mean chlorinated tapwater, then yes you can leave a bucket of tapwater (that contains chlorine) outside in the sun for a few days to get rid of the chlorine. You can also aerate the water for a couple of days and it will drive the chlorine out of the water.

If you have chloramine in the water, then you need a dechlorinator to break the chlorine/ ammonia bond before you can use it for fish. Chloramine is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia and it does not break down as quickly or easily as chlorine on its own.

5. Deanasue

Deanasue Fish Herder
    Tank of the Month Winner!

When I was a kid, we always sat our water out for 24 hours to let the chlorine escape and then used without chlorine remover.

• Like Like x 2