Can Tropical Fish Eat Cucumber?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just remember to not leave the cucumber in the tank for any more than 24 hours max ! It will start to rot badly after that, and contaminate the water.

most prefer the softer middle, so make sure plenty of that is exposed.

firstly they do not rot and cause problems in the tank. .... most of the good stuff in cucumber, is in the skin. this takes a day or so, to breakdown so, most fish can eat it.

"Rotting" and "breaking down" are one and the same thing, both are basically biological breakdown caused by the action of bacteria and fungi (mostly)

All I can comment on is my personal experience and I have found that cucumber is particularly prone to growing long hairy fungus, probably a Saprolegnia sp., when left in a tropical tank for more than a day. To be honest I only did that once and subsequently have always taken it out the next day to prevent growing another big fungus ball.
I'm sure the middle of the cucumber is the most favoured initially, due to its softer nature, but personally I do not want to risk leaving soft vegetables in the tank for too long, and risk having spikes of nasty chemicals in the water. Nor do I like the sight of a huge fungus ball sitting in the tank.
YMMV

It seems to be a matter of personal preference whether the fish go for the skin or the inside first. I have BN plecos in several of my tanks and the same ones go for the skin at first while others always eat the insides.

I like to feed them zucchini instead of cucumber because it doesn't get a wax coating in the supermarket and the skin is softer. I prepare it ahead of time by washing, slicing and then freezing it. When defrosted the BNs are able to eat either the skin or the middle immediately. Steaming or blanching the vegetables will also soften the tissue but there will be some loss of nutrients due to the heat and water.

It's better to feed the fish small pieces that they will finish in a day or so, or plan to remove the excess. Rotting vegetables not only ruin the quality of the water, they will make it stink.

It seems to be a matter of personal preference whether the fish go for the skin or the inside first. I have BN plecos in several of my tanks and the same ones go for the skin at first while others always eat the insides.

I like to feed them zucchini instead of cucumber because it doesn't get a wax coating in the supermarket and the skin is softer. I prepare it ahead of time by washing, slicing and then freezing it. When defrosted the BNs are able to eat either the skin or the middle immediately. Steaming or blanching the vegetables will also soften the tissue but there will be some loss of nutrients due to the heat and water.

It's better to feed the fish small pieces that they will finish in a day or so, or plan to remove the excess. Rotting vegetables not only ruin the quality of the water, they will make it stink.

Good advice throughout !

I also wash, slice and freeze tougher veg like zuchini and butternut squash before use, to soften it all up a bit.
It's also very useful to have a stock in the freezer for ready use as well.

All my livebearers and plecs love fresh veg including cucumber. My goldfish have started eating the plec's potato!

hi, is the goldfish in the tank with the plec and livebearers? what type of plec and livebearers do you have? and what temp is your tank? it sounds a bit dodgy keeping tropical fish with coldwater fish. unless of course the plec is a hillstream loach or something. can't think of any coldwater livebearers though.

cheers :good:

[

"Rotting" and "breaking down" are one and the same thing, both are basically biological breakdown caused by the action of bacteria and fungi (mostly)

technically, NO. breakdown is, part of the process of rotting. the part that allows bacteria it colonise and start the rotting. food breaks down when you cook it. don't think most people would consider that, ROTTED.
i said "cucumber does not rot and cause problems in the tank." NOT as you imply, cucumber does not ROT in the tank.

I fully accept your experience. Myself and many others, find no problems in leaving it till its all eaten (even if its several days). mind you, if you feed too much, though, and you may get problems (with the water) but thats your fault, not that of the cucumber. :hyper:

but i maintain. if you have water quality problems with your tank. caused by a few grams of rotting cucumber. you have a very poor filtration system. or, i suppose, like so many others. have woefully under filtered tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back