Can Tropical Fish Eat Cucumber?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

-Craig-

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering because i want to change my fishes diet abit.

Please reply asap.

hi, it depends what type of fish you have. i'm sure it can't harm any of your fish, but some just won't eat it.

cheers :good:

I have 4 angel fish, 2 blue gourmis, 2 guppies (1 male 1 female), 2 shark catfish, red tailed albino shark fish, and some other small ones. so it cant harm then im anyway?

no, it can't harm them, but I'm interested in your stocking. What's your tank size? What are 'shark catfish', and the smaller fish?

Just remember to not leave the cucumber in the tank for any more than 24 hours max ! It will start to rot badly after that, and contaminate the water.
To make the cucumber sink, just spike a metal teaspoon through a piece, which will keep it down on the bottom.
For fish who do like cucumber, most prefer the softer middle, so make sure plenty of that is exposed.

i find that if i slice it quite thinly, then put quite a lot of thin slices in the tank, they can eat it faster, which reduces pollution.

cheers :good:

blue gouramis are the same as gold gouramis except a different colour morph right? if so, my gold gouramis love cucumber, so your blues should like it too.

blue gouramis are the same as gold gouramis except a different colour morph right? if so, my gold gouramis love cucumber, so your blues should like it too.

I'm pretty sure gold's are just a color morph of 3 spot/blues or something along those lines.

As for cucumber they'll eat it but it has no big nutritional value if any.

Hi. I sometimes put a thick slice in for about 12 hours and my ruby shark just eats the soft middle. No other fish seem to touch it.

Just remember to not leave the cucumber in the tank for any more than 24 hours max ! It will start to rot badly after that, and contaminate the water.

most prefer the softer middle, so make sure plenty of that is exposed.

firstly they do not rot and cause problems in the tank. unless you have a, poor filtering system! its important to leave the veg in until eaten.(5 days, should, be no problem) most of the good stuff in cucumber, is in the skin. this takes a day or so, to breakdown so, most fish can eat it. oddly, fish do not prefer the middle. they go for it first, because its soft enough to eat, right away. but even they know, where the good stuff is.

but, to the OP. why stop with cucumber? any veg will go down in most communities. though your fish will, no doubt, show their preferences. tinned/canned veg is fantastic for fish. using it avoids having veg in the tank for long periods. as its cooked, the fibre is available right away. also, because of the canning process, canned food has more nutritional value than fresh does. and a lot more than "par boiled" or "cooked" does. only thing to watch is, salt. oh, lol, and the skins of things like peas. (they do not break down, and clog up your filter.)

cucumber can get kind of skanky after a few days and make your water look a bit mucky. Nothing bad for the fish, but not always great to look at. I tend to go for cumber a few days BEFORE a water change rather than just after. Any big bits sit on top of the fine filter and just rinse off.

I have read lots of times that there are few nutrients in cucumber but plenty fibre... peas are packed with nutrients AND fibre (great for thinning out protein rich diets). However do pop 'em out of their shells as Raptor says - they are sweet and my corys and plecos snap 'em up. If I squish 'em, the neons and rasboras attack them on the way down.

My BN plecos love courgette (or zucchini for our US brethren). I weigh down my veg with a screwcumber (see ebay) or weights from plants.

Hope that helps

You do realise Shark Catfish grow to 4 feet long don't you?

You do realise Shark Catfish grow to 4 feet long don't you?

i am sure he/she will get a bigger tank or get rid of the fish when he/she have to.

thanks to Internet everybody knows everything. :rolleyes:

All my livebearers and plecs love fresh veg including cucumber. My goldfish have started eating the plec's potato!

thanks to Internet everybody knows everything. :rolleyes:
Only if they read...or someone else posts about it...

On the veggies front, my BN plec, cories and cichlids love shelled peas, mushed up first though. They have them about once a week, it helps with their digestion too :)

All my livebearers and plecs love fresh veg including cucumber. My goldfish have started eating the plec's potato!
Ooooo, I've got to try that...as simple as part boiling it, letting it cool, and dropping it in? I gotta try carrots too!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back