can they breed

sushi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I've got 10 goldfish. One of them, Sushi, is chasing a couple of the other ones. He's chasing my big goldfish, which is 3 x the size of him and he's chasing my fantail.
Sushi is a comet/shibuncan. Is it possible for sushi to breed with my fantail? WOuld they. Would this be the reason why sushi's chasing the mojority of my goldfish or would he just be being bossy.
I'd be really cool if they'd breed. I tried before when I had only goldfish but they never did so I basically gave up. Now sushis bringing new hope or hinders?????

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If they are in a tropical tank? It is unlikely as the spring rise in temperature normally trigger breeding. Female Goldfish can carry eggs quite often but it doesn't always mean they will spawn and if so they spawn early in the morning and in a tank enviroment the eggs are normally eaten by the time you wake up!

Goldfish are all technically the same species, carassius auratus. But I dont think two very distinct varieties would be willing to spawn together. If you were to strip the eggs and milt and rear the fry yourself, it would produce viable offspring. But the tremendous variation in finnage, size, coloration would make you cull probably 90% of the offspring. The remaining 10% wouldnt likely have any disirable characteristics either....

wouldn't the tropical water just make them think it's spring all the time???
The comet - sushi - is deffinately chasing my female. His nose is right on her bottom :p when he's chasing her.
If i put them into small breeding tank, would they breed doyou think?
WOuld I just raise the temp a bit to make them think it's spring (from coldish to warmer?) Why wouldn't they breed in tropical water?

sushi said:
WOuld I just raise the temp a bit to make them think it's spring (from coldish to warmer?) Why wouldn't they breed in tropical water?
Keeping the temp raised wont do it.........

They need a long period, seperated from the opposite sexes. They need to be conditioned for a while on good foods. Then the temp should be raised and the pair placed together. its not so much the temp that induces them to spawn, its the rise in temp. It simulates the coming of spring. This is why most will only get one spawn out of them in a given year. Some people can cycle them twice in a year but it is difficult.

But as I mentioned, I would not recommend doing it. The offspring would not be very disirable.

I'm not trying to breed them. I just noticed that one was chasing the other. IF they breed, their eggs will probly get eaten anyway by all my little barbs and things.
So yeah, I was just curious if they would or not. I'll just have to let nature take it's way I'm afraid. Only one tank at present.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back