Can someone please ID this fish for me?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If the tank is 4x2x2ft it might be ok for one cichlid and the pleco, but the Jack Dempsey is not a peaceful fish and could go after the Oscar. Even in a 6x2x2ft tank the Jack Dempsey is likely to cause problems to other fish. They might be ok together, but I would keep a real close eye on the Jack Dempsey.

If you do keep them together, you will need to do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean at least once a week and possibly twice a week, depending on how the nitrate levels read.
TheJD and Oscar have coexisted in peace for years, exactly how many I am uncertain. The seller says 4 years & maybe so & maybe not & maybe the terribly crowded tank stunted the Oscar’s growth or perhaps it is a female on the smaller side. I am in two Oscar Facebook groups & in daily discussions with experienced I individuals. I came to buy the Oscar only & went home with his tankmate, Jack. And major trepidations. Profound harmony thus far.

I observe them closely & have backup plan should aggression emerge. There’s a 5 g bucket with conditioned water & a big net nearby. I could quickly set up an unused 40 G and take it from there. Thus far, Jack is a real Pussycat. Same for Oscar. But things can turn on a dime.

Big water changes are a breeze for me.

You are the most knowledgeable person I have ever encountered in any forum or Facebook group or message board. This forum is fortunate to have you.

Plecos aren't the only fish that shouldn't be kept or sold by shops. Arowana, Saratoga, a lot of big cichlids and some bigger catfish (redtail) should never be brought into captivity simply due to their size. Unfortunately shops get them in as little fish and they grow, and grow, and grow. Then Joe Bloggs has to decide whether or not to keep them or rehome them.
I am sorry to hear that, but as always it’s a case of follow the dollar.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back