Can Prime Go Off?

joecoral

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
550
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Wales
Opened my bottle of prime today when I went to do a water change, and the contents of the bottle smelled very bad, something I have never noticed before. I've probably had the bottle, opened for over 6 months now, but I didn't notice this 2 weeks ago when I did the last water change.
Fortunately I had some other dechlorinator which I used to do the water change with, but I'm just wondering if the Prime is still safe to use?
 
Does it have an expiry date on it? Strange I wouldnt imagine that it would 'go off' in 6 months, but I think you did the right thing but using a different dechlor to be on the safe side.
 
I know Prime is meant to have a rotten egg smell, how bad its meant to be I don't know but my dechlorinator definately smells pongy.
 
It does stink of rotten eggs, My bottle has lasted me 9 months now so I cant think it would go off in 6 months.
 
i've read on another fish forum that prime does not expire. also, it's supposed to smell like sulfur.
 
It is a rotten eggs / sulphur smell, I'd just never noticed it before, so I wanted to make sure this was normal before using it again.
 
Hey, 'It does what it says on the tin' It says "sulphur odour is normal" even though they spell it different (Sulfur) :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top