Can pond water be too clear?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Endlersendlers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This seems like a silly question to me but I was proud of how clean and clear my pond water is but recently read that clear water is not good and means the pond needs liming. Supposedly it needs algae. This is a formal pond with liner, no dirt. Is this true or more internet misinformation? The pH is 6.3-6.4 and it holds tilapia only. No catfish I have a netted bunch of barley straw in it to keep the water clear, store bought pond filter with enclosed UV, pump with prefilter, and DIY waterfall filter. Itā€™s about 3 feet deep and the metal grid you see is 2 or 3 inches off the bottom to hold the pump.
IMG_3536.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg

This seems like a silly question to me but I was proud of how clean and clear my pond water is but recently read that clear water is not good and means the pond needs liming. Supposedly it needs algae. This is a formal pond with liner, no dirt. Is this true or more internet misinformation? The pH is 6.3-6.4 and it holds tilapia only. No catfish I have a netted bunch of barley straw in it to keep the water clear, store bought pond filter with enclosed UV, pump with prefilter, and DIY waterfall filter. Itā€™s about 3 feet deep and the metal grid you see is 2 or 3 inches off the bottom to hold the pump.
View attachment 320913View attachment 320914
If you have a larger pond and few fish you aren't going to see much debris or algae. If you are worried give it a test for nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. It looks good to me!

I like clear. Now that it's 100 degrees out, only 3 of mine are clear, the big one is needing a filter clean. I use water lilies for shade, and lotus in one pond, letting me have cooler water that is clearer. I also have multiple waterfalls on the most sunny ponds to cool them.

I have a big bunch of lemongrass in the waterfall filter, maybe itā€™s doing its job well.

You don't need uv unless you want super clear water, are fighting parasites or snails

I do like super clear water (and then saw that article which is probably relevant for filter feeders but not everybody). It started when I had channel catfish and I was afraid of getting spiked by their fins and it getting infected, so I wanted to see before putting my hands in there. Now I just like seeing what the fish are doing and being sure there isnā€™t a poisonous Bufo toad in there.

You can have clear water in ponds or green, yellow or brown water in ponds. The clear water is usually found in well filtered ponds with lots of plants. Green soup is often found in ponds with no filtration and no or only a few plants. Yellow or brown water is often found in ponds with no filtration and or lots of driftwood.

Well, in my opinion a pond or tank may have a bit of color. That's more natural. And that's more healthier to me than crystal clear water. But that's my vision. My own experience with ponds, is that a green water pond will let my fish grow better and faster. Al they need is in there.

Watching ( where is the pop corn eating simile ) I'm new to tilapia, mine are going in a 3 tank aquaculture set up I built, filled with tap water from the house... there was some leaves left in the tanks at filling, & that has my water "very weak tea colored"...but it's darker than I had hoped... The fish are fingerlings, should be added early next week, so water is likely to change rapidly... there is also "some" green algae on the sides of the tanks. that I expect will be scrubbed of shortly... I was after a clear ish water, looking for clean tasting fish as a result... too much "color", will likely effect the flavor of the fish slightly ( I've had domestic raised Tilapia fillets, that had a little "earthy" taste to them, like Catfish... I'm hoping for a cleaner tasting fish, with clearer water... 100 fingerlings, expected to be delivered early next week

Last edited:
Hello. I have a 300 gallon outdoor tank that's been running for several years. I keep Anacharis in it year round. In the Winter, I heat the tank water or it will freeze. It gets a little chilly here in the winter. The water is hazy in the early Spring. By this time, the water is really clear. I do change around half the water weekly year round. There are roughly 12 adult Goldfish and about that many year old fry in the tank. I've never done anything other than change the water. I would say, there's nothing wrong with clear water. My tank water inside is clear, so why not clean outdoor tank water?

10 Tanks (Now 11)

It is green but clear water. The pH just hit 6.02 today so I added some dolomite lime through the waterfall box. I read that if the water is too clear you need to add lime and I wasnā€™t sure about ruining what I thought was a good thing, but a pH of 6 stalls bacteria so now it was time. Interesting how much the tanks vary in their natural pH set points. The pond wants to drift to 6, one aquarium 6.4, and the stock tank above 7.4. The stock tank I understand because it has cichlid substrate to make it more basic and that is working quite well. The water source is the same for all. Whoever thinks you canā€™t affect water pH effectively is wrong, judging by that variation. However, they are also right about the futility and stress to fish fighting a particular tank with pH up and pH down water treatments. The pond I have to do something about and dolomite lime has had the longest effect so far, taking maybe 2 or 3 months for the pH to drift back down. I suppose I should be more scientific and add a certain ratio with the pond water changes but have just been diluting it. Iā€™ve added some large limestone chunks, with not much effect. I suppose the surface area of large objects doesnā€™t provide the desired effect. Not sure I want to do substrate with the cost and added challenge that it would get mucky and impossible to clean, wouldnā€™t it?

Hello. My stock tank is made of galvanized steel. The galvanizing process includes the use of zinc. Zinc is great for plants, but very toxic for fish. So, I had to sand off the inside tank coating and reseal it with a nontoxic tank coating. This had to be done before I could fill it with treated water and a bacteria starter and introduce my Goldfish. Was wondering if the galvanized coating of your stock tank is affecting the tank water?

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back