Something Has Cleared My Pond Out Of Fish

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had what appears to be a bit of a disaster recently. At the advice of others on this forum and elsewhere I re-homed my 6 year old comet and 1 year old shub to a pond as they had outgrown the tank I had.

The first month or so went buy well and over the past fortnight babies have appeared in the pond and both the comet and shub had noticably grown in size, the shub in particular. The pond was looking in great shape with all the fish and the babies too, with the filter/pump running 24/7 I had never seen it in better condition. With the babies appearing I assumed this meant the pond was healthy.

However, at some point in the last 7-10 days something has entered the pond and cleared out all the fish, excluding the smallest of the babies. My 6 year old comet is gone!

This really baffles me as there is a metal grid over the top of the entire pond to prevent herrons from swooping down and grabbing a fish. There is also one of those plastic ducks which are supposed to be a deterrent for birds and anything else that is after the fish.

There's some lillies growing in the pond and i've had a poke around with the net to see if they're hiding under there, but there must have been close to 10 adult fish in the tank and now none are there to be seen. The odd baby can be seen, but that's about it.

What is likely to have eaten my fish? The pond is located reasonably close to a river, but not too close. The river is down a very steep banking and I would estimate the river to be approx 400-500 yds away from the pond. Could this be an otter or something similar that has came inland to grab the fish? I can imagine a otter could work it's way under the metal grid (which was held down with bricks and stones).

After a month or re-homing I thought i'd done the right thing, now I wish i'd never bothered. :-(

Wow! I am really sorry for your loss! I hate to say it but 'these things happen'. its of no comfort but dont let it stop you carrying on keeping fish.

All I can think of is cats (they are far more devious than even i thought possibly, got to watch one on cctv at night taping the water surface until the fish came up to investigate for food and then hooking them out!)

Though not sure if more likely or not but do you have Mink in the local area because they would certainly do it!

sorry for your loss :( ive seen herons take fish through mesh, they do have long beaks which can easily pull a fish through

Sorry for your loss crmpicco. I can imagine how it feels to do best for your fish and losing them this way.

I have never seen a mink or an otter in or around the garden.

Is there any changes in fish behaviour as seasons and weather changes? The pond was very active and now it's dead. It's hard to think that all the fish are hiding somewhere they can't be seen, but I wonder if it's a possibility?

Assuming they are all gone, how can you prevent this happening?

Is it likely that an active pond has alerted something?

Well, i'm not sure if it was a mink that you would ever see it anyway, fartoo shy and sneaky for that. Not sure who you would need to call but some local wildlife or rspca people would know if minks were in your local area.

Fish would sink to the bottom if it were really cold, but its definately not *that* cold yet... Though they would also hide away if they had been scared by a predator.. so it is possible they are hiding...

Another one i'm not sure about for you is snakes? Around where I am, a lot of customers lose their fish to grass snakes who are clever, fast and swim as well.

As said if the majority of fish have gone and you live near the river then mink and otter are two possibilities,
otters usually are quite messy though and will leave fish tails scattered everywhere,

Most reactions

Back