tank age: 1 year
pH: 6.52
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0
kH:40
gH:150
tank temp:83.5

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): raised shiny white areas over outer edge of lower lip, forehead on same side. No unusual behaviors, socializing with others and swimming about the tank, no flashing or rubbing. No marks seen on other fish. I do notice the small tilapia 3-4ā€ are gulping air at the surface around the perimeter despite air pumping, even when I moved it near them, although the larger ones are not going to the surface at all. I donā€™t know whatā€™s going on with that.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% 2 weeks ago, 60% today. Typically I change 50% every other weekend. Filters and hoses were all broken down and flushed with a garden hose, bottle brushes 2 weeks ago. No cleaning agents.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: filter floss, bio balls, ceramic rings. Fritz ACCR. Dissolved dolomite lime about a month ago (1/2 cup).

Tank inhabitants: tilapia since about august, endlers (almost all endlers removed now but they were in there for months)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): one bunch lemongrass in submerged basket for 1 week.

Exposure to chemicals: no other chemicals

Digital photo (include if possible):
IMG_3897.jpeg
IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3903.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3918.jpeg

IMG_3921.jpeg
IMG_3920.jpeg
IMG_3919.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpeg
    IMG_3915.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Iā€™ve isolated her (?) to a rain barrel with the same pond water. Iā€™ve used the rain barrel before and itā€™s fish safe. She swims at the surface but goes to the bottom when she sees me, ie normal behavior and is aware and responding to her surroundings.

This morning I went to check on her and she had jumped out of the tank and was in the grass next to a cinder block but watching me. Seems to have some scrapes with extra slime coat, from thrashing around probably. I put her back in the tank and she gradually recovered and is upright once again and moving around in there. Lowered the water level of course and she has a big pond ball in there for air. Iā€™m wondering if those white areas were just injuries since they get kind of rough in courtship with the mouthing and dragging each other around. @Colin_T @Ichthys @Byron @WhistlingBadger @vince82 @GaryE can any of you please look at the pics and info above and tell me what you think? I know you each have your areas of specialities but donā€™t know who the resident fish doctor is.

Last edited:
I'm here to ask questions too, I don't have any presumption of being a fish doctor. I share the limited amount of knowledge I have but this might be the first tilapia I see that wasn't a fillet. :)

I'm here to ask questions too, I don't have any presumption of being a fish doctor. I share the limited amount of knowledge I have but this might be the first tilapia I see that wasn't a fillet. :)
LoL. Itā€™s difficult to look up information on them for all the recipes.

This morning I went to check on her and she had jumped out of the tank and was in the grass next to a cinder block but watching me. Seems to have some scrapes with extra slime coat, from thrashing around probably. I put her back in the tank and she gradually recovered and is upright once again and moving around in there. Lowered the water level of course and she has a big pond ball in there for air. Iā€™m wondering if those white areas were just injuries since they get kind of rough in courtship with the mouthing and dragging each other around. @Colin_T @Ichthys @Byron @WhistlingBadger @vince82 @GaryE can any of you please look at the pics and info above and tell me what you think? I know you each have your areas of specialities but donā€™t know who the resident fish doctor is.
Lymphocystis seems the most likely diagnosis. Just sharing for someone down the road. It really needs a vet check to be sure though.

they are really tough fish, I kept them in a pond, then a stock tank in the greenhouse and finally in an aquarium in the house when winter got intense back in 2013 and I'd say put a little salt in the rain barrel and see how she does. I actually kept Mozambiques.

they are really tough fish, I kept them in a pond, then a stock tank in the greenhouse and finally in an aquarium in the house when winter got intense back in 2013 and I'd say put a little salt in the rain barrel and see how she does. I actually kept Mozambiques.
Thanks! Weā€™re not allowed Mozambiques here but I hear they can live on grass clippings. Very low environmental impact there.

Last edited:
The lip looks like an injury to me but I donā€™t know for sure. Iā€™m not much help though. To me tilapia are something we buy at Walmart when we need a cheap fish supper. :lol:

Thanks! Weā€™re not allowed Mozambiques here but I hear they can live on grass clippings. Very low environmental impact there.
Mozambiques die at 55 degrees water temperature which is why they are allowed. They can't succeed in north Texas lakes, water too cold in winter, so they can't take over.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back