Can my daughter

kaz petts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I myself am not a beginner but don't know enough on the sizes of a couple of fish my daughter likes.

I have just got my daughter a 5g Aquarium for Christmas.

I am currently cycling the tank which she is keeping in her room. She originally wanted a goldie but I managed to get it through to her that goldies, even the fancies get big. I took her to my favourite LFS where I was able to show her the size that fancies can get to be. She said herself that "One of those will be too big for my tank!"

I told her that I have a spare heater and that if she wanted she could have a tropical and I will help her with it.
She has looked around the LFS and has said that she likes the blue tiger barbs and the rose barbs.
She has asked me if she could have one of each when her tank is ready, she also mentioned that she will need a plec. I have several of these in my tank and have told her she can have one of my clown plecs
The thing is can she have a tiger barb (blue) and a rose barb in a 5g tank or is she better off choosing which one she prefers and just getting the one.
I have also told her she can have one of my corys to eat any food that sinks to the bottom of the tank.

Barbs are schooling fish and you shouldn't get just one of them. I wouldn't put any size pleco in a 5g either. There was a thread about 5 gallon tanks recently and the consensus was that a betta is the only thing suitable for it.

It's not the only thing, IMO.

You can persuade her to try breeding livebearers (problem is cannibalism and her reaction to that).

Bettas are absolutely beautiful fish, and you shoudl try to persuade your daughter into buying one.

You could also put in an ADF and corydoras (not necessarily all together). However, you would have to monitor the feedings and make sure all of them (esp. the ADF, which needs frozen food) get enough food.

i think a nice fancy betta and a few ottos would make a nice tank for your daughter.

If you have a tank running and can get this tank cycled properly before putting anything in it. She might like a dwarf puffer if you can find them around. A lot of children love these fish and 1 will do fine in a 5Gallon if you dont put anything else in.

Do however do your research on them first :)

Ha, lol, its the other way round for me. My mum wants me to get a goldie in a 5 gallon tank, or two, and says they grow to the size of the tank... Nonsense... And she says that a heater will melt the tank.... Will it? Personally, as much as I love goldies, I think bettas look much nicer, and will do much better in a tank my size.

OohFeeshy said:
And she says that a heater will melt the tank.... Will it?
If the heater gets hot enough to melt the tank then it will cook your fish. 80 degrees F or so will not melt plastic-your body temp is higher than that. I would, however, make sure the heater itself isn't touching the plastic wall since the actual glass tube might get pretty warm.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back