Can my ADF live in my 26 gallon tank??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi I have a question :D

I have an African dwarf frog...and was just wondering if he could live in my 26 gallon tank? Right now in my tank I have

6 guppies
4 mollies
3 swordfish
1 small pleco

Right now he is just in a small bowl..and I feel really bad for him!!! :no: :-(

When I first set up the tank I put him in there and he seemed really happy...but I had a super hard time feeding him....everytime I put the bloodworm in the tank the other would grab it before it even had a chance to sink down. So after about 3 days I got worried and took him out....I'm wondering if I should give it another try?? Does anyone else keep their ADF's in big tanks...if so how do you feed them?? I'm tired of having the little guy by himself..and I'm tired of changing his water so often...I'd rather he be in the aquarium.

Any advice would be appriciated!!!

My ADF has been doing fine in a 65 gal community tank for months now.

He always manages to get his share of bloodworms.

Hi There-
It depends on how big he is. Not because of the fish you have (they are perfect tankmates) but because if he is too small he may have a struggle trying to get to the top to breath and such.

But as long as you have some tall plants so he can rest on them then he should be fine.

As far as the feeding goes, ADF's have extremely poor eyesight, so I would try adding extra bloodworms and such just to make sure he gets his fare share of the food.

Ok thats good to hear...well if he's done well in your 65 gallon tank then I'll stick him in tonight and see how he does:)

Hes fully grown...I've had him for like 9 months now...got him when he was tiny tiny...but hes grown so much....I love him to bits...so cute!!!

I posted here before I knew there was a frog section in this forum..and I was reading on there..that some people have trained there frogs to eat when they stick a turkey baster near their faces....also some said they come up to eat.

Anyways I'll try to figure something out...maybe he'll learn to come to the surface:)

Oh yeah I have pleanty of tall plants that he can rest on:))

Thanks guys!! :thumbs:

As has been said, your ADF would be fine with those tankmates! You also might want to consider getting him a friend or two. They are great fun to watch! But I digress... There are also a few things you can do to help him get food. A turkey baster would help you to ensure food gets to the bottom, targeted at the frog. The other thing that I have found helpful is a washed out baby food jar. Place some food in the jar and put it sideways at the bottom of the tank. My frogs smell the food within minutes when I feed them this way. It's pretty funny to watch them all swarm out from their hiding spaces to get at the food (I have 6 ADFs).

[edit]of course, you had this info already, and I was too slow in typing it. :)

\Dan

Hi Dan...Thanks for the great advice!! I'm going to have to look around some stores here for a turkey baster....I'll try both ideas and see which ones work best for me. When I first purchased my ADF...I actually purchased a regular african clawed frog too....sadly though he jumped out..and I found him the next day....compleatly covered in fuzz!! It was so sad...I realize now though that he wouldnt of been a great tank mate to my ADF though as the clawed frogs get really big!!

The little tank I had him in before wasn't big enough to house 2 frogs...but if he does well in my 26 gallon tank...I'll definately get him some friends...I hope he does well in my tank though...cause I feel so sorry for him alone in the small tank I had him in before.

I just put him into the big tank..and already he's jumping towards everything :lol: I don't have any fish small enough to fit in him mouth..so I'm not worried:) :thumbs:

Do the ADF's socialize much together?? Do yours hang out together or ??

I did read that they like to be with other ADF's earlier today so next time I'm at my lfs..I'll have a look and see if they have any for sale.

More often than not my frogs all hang out together. Or in small groups. Very often three of them will hang out together under the same plant, like three pigs in a blanket. Sometimes one or two go off alone, but most always they are together in the same area.

\Dan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back