Can Kribensis Change Sex? Video Attatched

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

give them time sounds like he wants the female to breed

I have taken a video (somewhat boring naturally) however YouTube seems to not want me to upload it at this moment in time! The male seems to have really turned his colours on.

I've had a couple batches eggs before, and to date I even have a suvivor in my tank (he is now the smallest of the three) but he keeps himself to himself.

Alrite I finally got the video to upload :crazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HUdZsvL2lI

The video quality on my BlackBerry isn't spectacular as you can tell.

Now THAT is a female! Lol. Looks like he's ready and she isn't... couple of days in your tank those and I'm sure he'll have tempted her into his little love nest I mean coconut cave...

Brilliant :p

If they move the sand around the cave, she will fit in but he won't, as he is substantially bigger lol.

There is some breeding activity, there is a small mound of sand outside the coconut. I am however unsure of who the father is, as soon as the female went in my other young krib that I've had for around 12months (since his birth) really coloured up. I haven't yet seen any of the kribs go in the coconut yet. I will keep you all updated.

Having watched the video I knew it wouldn't be long. Try upping the protein in the diet and then a nice big water change. This may prompt them to spawn, but equally if you're likely to have fry soonish a nice big water change isn't a bad idea.

I did a 20L (basically 20%) on Friday. What size w/c would you reccomend I do now?

Personally I do 30% min so ermm... 40-50%ish. It's not neccesary per say, just saying that if you're likely to have alot of fry coming then it certainly wouldn't hurt to do a nice big change.

Yeah, having watched them for a while I can say it's going to be the large male, the smaller male is hiding away in another corner, the male keeps offering himself up against the coconut I think it will be a tight squeeze lol. I Will shortly do a 30-40L w/c.

In other news one of my Algae/Amano Shrimps in my 17L is carrying a mass of eggs under her body, I don't think the babies survive unless they are in brackish water though?

Yup, I can't remember if they only hatch in brackish or only develop...it's one or the other. But brackish is definitely needed at some point.

Update: Since yesterday the small mound has gone, and the female hasn't gone in or out since I've been home.

Actually, it looks like both of them are ready. The female is in full breeding color, and clearly showing interest in the cave. Just wait a couple days and you'll have eggs.

Interesting turn out. It seems a female Ancistrus has taken over the coconut shell and is staying in there, and the Kribensis have migrated to a flower pot with a gap in the bottom.

So maybe I'll have Ancistrus and Kribensis babies all at the same time, wonder how that will work out!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back