Can Imbellis And Rutilans Share A Tank/crossbreed

pippoodle

RIP Dear nan 22/03/1925 --11/03/2009
Reaction score
I'm just wondering wether these can share without interbreeding
i'm getting the imbellis cos of the great colours on the males and they aren't kept that often and the little rutilans are so sweet

I'm not going to keep them in the same tank just wondering if they were would they

i know i could breed my imbellis with a splendens to get some different colouring into the splendens but not sure about rutilans
NOT that i will cross breed them want a good pure set of imbellis and rutilans first

MALE imbellis
e283_1.JPG

Rutilans
736a_1.JPG

cant wait for mine to arrive tomorrow :) (Tuesday)

sry i can't give any advice, but i can't wait to see some pictures!!!

will get piccys up as soon as they arrive :)
then again when settled
i'm really excited about these guys comming
will be upping the imbellis to 10 when my order from lfs comes in then will up the rutilans if they dont breed out of the 4

I just had a thought, would putting a perfectly clear plastic divider between the two groups maybe act as a good test? If you don't get a definitive answer from here that is.
I may be completely off with that idea...but maybe it would work?

I just had a thought, would putting a perfectly clear plastic divider between the two groups maybe act as a good test? If you don't get a definitive answer from here that is.
I may be completely off with that idea...but maybe it would work?

i know they are both very peaceful so they wont hurt each other it's just the breeding thingy (i'm really technical today~) lol

Ahh right. I'm totally on the wrong lines then...lol. Ignore me.
Ermm, only thing I can think is keep the groups separate and then put a m/f pair together separately.
If they breed (presuming it's the same way as all other bettas?), then you have an answer...
You can destroy the nest (if you'd be ok doing that), and you'd have an answer.
Or are you more interested in whether they have viable offspring or not? Ie, the eggs fertilise
Problem is that if you were wondering if the eggs would actually fertilise you'd have to wait until they hatched...I guess it depends if you'd be willing to 'deal with' the crossbred fry.

Once again just some ideas for if someone doesn't give you an answer.

Ahh right. I'm totally on the wrong lines then...lol. Ignore me.
Ermm, only thing I can think is keep the groups separate and then put a m/f pair together separately.
If they breed (presuming it's the same way as all other bettas?), then you have an answer...
You can destroy the nest (if you'd be ok doing that), and you'd have an answer.
Or are you more interested in whether they have viable offspring or not? Ie, the eggs fertilise
Problem is that if you were wondering if the eggs would actually fertilise you'd have to wait until they hatched...I guess it depends if you'd be willing to 'deal with' the crossbred fry.

Once again just some ideas for if someone doesn't give you an answer.

I wouldn't destroy the eggs as people have bred imbellis and splendens together so i would see what i came out with -- if i did the experiment --- and just keep them as community fish :) - or sell them on - they might be really pretty

Good ideas there hun :)

I wouldn't destroy the eggs as people have bred imbellis and splendens together so i would see what i came out with -- if i did the experiment --- and just keep them as community fish :) - or sell them on - they might be really pretty

Lol, thanks. I do sound a bit heartless though don't I...

And OMG, :drool: that male imbellis is absolutely stunning! I'm not a fan of plakat splendens...but even though he looks vaguely similar he's amazing. I'm guessing that's just a natural tail formation? Or do they come under the same categories as splendens?

Lol, thanks. I do sound a bit heartless though don't I...

And OMG, :drool: that male imbellis is absolutely stunning! I'm not a fan of plakat splendens...but even though he looks vaguely similar he's amazing. I'm guessing that's just a natural tail formation? Or do they come under the same categories as splendens?

Thats a pic of a wild male - all the pics i've seen of the wild ones have all the same tails
would be nice to introdice his colour with a female splendens though hmmmmmm

i am not sure if they can.

B.imbellis is in the splendens complex

B.rutilans is in the coccina complex

but i might be wrong, i dont know.

Betta rutilans comes from blackwater environments and should have soft acidic water that is well filtered. They should be kept at cool to mid 70s F.​
Rutilans primarily a bubblenester however under certain circumstances rutilans has been known to mouthbrood. The exact trigger is unknown.​
imbellis thrives in almost any type of water as long as it is clean and well filtered. They should be kept at mid 70s to low 80s F.​
.​
Imbellis is a surface bubblenester however the male may make a nest under objects on the surface of the water. Males normally initiate spawning and entice females to the nest for spawning.​

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back