Can I Fill My 6Ft Tank Up ?

nick1200

Moved On
Reaction score
So the other day i made a home made stand for my 6ft tank

2pvRxYi.jpg

Now i have filled the tank up half way and is fine but i am a bit worried about if i need a center support. I have been looking around google and have found 6ft tanks on little metal stands

DSC_0263_sm.jpg

6ft.jpg

door.jpg

The second image the tank on the left is the same size has mine and has you can see there is no center support and its sat on little metal poles.... Has you can see from my tank i have a 4inch ply wood to spread the weight and cement blocks( 20 blocks on each side ) I am thinking i don't need a center support ? If a few metal poles can hold the same size tank has mine a 4inch ply and 40 cement bricks should be even better ??

Its half fill now so need to know if to empty it or fill the rest of it up...

Looks like you've got a piece of cross bracing across the stacks of concrete tile.  That should support the center just fine.  As long as its level, I think you're good to go with filling it the rest of the way.

What are you putting in it?

eaglesaquarium said:
Looks like you've got a piece of cross bracing across the stacks of concrete tile.  That should support the center just fine.  As long as its level, I think you're good to go with filling it the rest of the way.

What are you putting in it?
Well i have a 4ft x 1 x 1 in my living room on a wooden stand which has started to dig into the ground.... So i bought this to move all my fish over into. I have 3 albino pleco's and a few silver sharks. I was just worryied a bit because i have been told by friends i would need a center support and then read fish forums and blogs with users who have tanks posted above with there tank set up for years with no problems and has soon has i seen the last two images i thought its being  held up by metal so my blocks would be more than enough...

What is the piece across the blocks that the tank is sitting directly on?

The blocks are sat on a 3 inch bit of ply wood to spread the weight....

So, the bricks are on the plywood?  What's on top of the bricks?

Sorry the plywood is on top of the bricks and then the tank is on top of the plywood.

Remind us again of the tank's dimensions?

If it was me, I would have one stack in the middle too, but I have not experience of doing this. Either reduce the height of the shelf by 4 bloacks per corner (preventing further expense), or getting another 10 blocks.

My ~300l 6-footer (~181x43.5x39cm) sits on a base of ~2.5cm polystyrene on top of two hard wearing plastic office mats on the floor across the joists of out first floor flat. I thought about plywood with some blocks or even an industrial racking system, but the former would add more weight and I could not find a suitable racking system that did not having more than four legs in contact with the floor, making massive pressure points!

N0body Of The Goat said:
Remind us again of the tank's dimensions?

If it was me, I would have one stack in the middle too, but I have not experience of doing this. Either reduce the height of the shelf by 4 bloacks per corner (preventing further expense), or getting another 10 blocks.

My ~300l 6-footer (~181x43.5x39cm) sits on a base of ~2.5cm polystyrene on top of two hard wearing plastic office mats on the floor across the joists of out first floor flat. I thought about plywood with some blocks or even an industrial racking system, but the former would add more weight and I could not find a suitable racking system that did not having more than four legs in contact with the floor, making massive pressure points!

The tank size is 6 x 2 x 2 the floor is cemented ( ground floor ) The blocks are 2ft long and 1 wide so pretty thick blocks.In my eyes the blocks are not legs they are kind of like giant's  boots

I have filled the tank up to the top and have messered from the floor to the center of the tank when it was empty and when it was fill and it seems like it has not moved a mm so not bowing in the middle i am now moving everything over e.g the gravel heater fish etc ill upload a pic when done :) everythign seems to be holding out for now...

Glad to hear that.

Here is a pic i have taken
w4xk3Z0.jpg

The light is only temporary from my other 4ft tank. The tank was empty and i measured from the ground to the top of the tank and the filled it and did the same and the measurement was the same meaning the tank / stand has not moved. Also used a spirit level and that shows its fine. I have to say the silver sharks in the new 6ft tank look so small...
Also has you can most probable see in the center of the tank there is a built in overflow so have not filled it right up because i have not set up my sump yet.

JonesyJ666 said:
that water looks awful? have u put fish in there already?
Yes its only the sand... Nothing to worry about. I have moved all the filter and heater and all from my old tank even moved the water from the old tank to this tank. Tomorrow it will be all settled.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back