Can I Add a Single Cherry Shrimp Alongside Amanos?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Caroline2000

Reaction score
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have amano shrimp in my guppy tank. I originally chose them over other shrimp species because they will not be able to successfully breed and I donā€™t want to be overrun with shrimp.

Cherry shrimp are obviously much more striking. I have read that they prefer to be in groups but does that need to be with other cherry shrimp or would the amanos do for company?

How easily would the cherry shrimp breed if I got a group? Would the guppies manage to eat all/most of the babies?

Hi,
As amano's are bigger the cherry would be intimidated, especially at feeding time.
Cherries in a mixed group tend to breed within a few weeks or months in an established tank and then tend to have a self-sustaining population. My RCS in a planted tank with fish number about 80 so no, they don't get eaten much.

RCS will breed, provided you have a mixture of males and females

My RCS thrive alongside my amanos

The amount of shrimplets that survive depends on how many hiding spots they are offered, until they have a chance to grow large enough to not be considered food for the guppies

Hi,
As amano's are bigger the cherry would be intimidated, especially at feeding time.
Cherries in a mixed group tend to breed within a few weeks or months in an established tank and then tend to have a self-sustaining population. My RCS in a planted tank with fish number about 80 so no, they don't get eaten much.
Hmm ok might give the cherries a miss then. I donā€™t really want to add to the bioload too much but I wouldnā€™t just get one if theyā€™d be unhappy

Amanos and RCS got along perfectly in my tank for a long long time. Unfortunately once I removed my bigger fish the Heterandria Formosa soon finished the RCS off.
Iā€™ve asked elsewhere would increasing the number of other smaller fish rein in the HFs if I added more RCS again? They were fine until my Medakaā€™s and WCMMs were removed. Does anyone know?

Amanos and RCS got along perfectly in my tank for a long long time. Unfortunately once I removed my bigger fish the Heterandria Formosa soon finished the RCS off.
Iā€™ve asked elsewhere would increasing the number of other smaller fish rein in the HFs if I added more RCS again? They were fine until my Medakaā€™s and WCMMs were removed. Does anyone know?
Found this on Serioslyfish -
"If housing them in a shrimp tank i would suggest not to let the amount of least kiliā€™s to reach higher than 10 in a 15 gallon tank, as they seem to hunt shrimplets when there is a large group of them. However when there is only a small group they leave the shrimp alone completely it seems."

Found this on Serioslyfish -
"If housing them in a shrimp tank i would suggest not to let the amount of least kiliā€™s to reach higher than 10 in a 15 gallon tank, as they seem to hunt shrimplets when there is a large group of them. However when there is only a small group they leave the shrimp alone completely it seems."
Itā€™s a 30G tank with about ten HFs and ten Pygmy Cory atm. Iā€™m gonna up the number of Pygmyā€™s soon and wonā€™t add any more RCS until thereā€™s a few other fish in as well. Iā€™ve noticed the HFS are a lot more visible now that the other bigger fish have gone. Obviously their confidence is increasing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back