can gouramis room with these?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I have 1 pair of guppies and 1 neon tetra in a 10-gallon. (Lost the other neons ... still cycling). Am wondering if a pair of dwarf gouramis would work here? I'd like to get 1 more guppy (female), but have bad taste in my mouth from the quick death of the neons (thought they were hardier than that). Not sure if I should just give the one back that I have and try other fish. Would like something with a little color (my guppies are black/blue tailed). It is a pretty heavily planted aquarium. What do you think?

If its planted it should be fine with a pair o dwarf gouramis. The male might become a little aggressive though. So it may be wiser to just keep 1 male if things get heated. I wouldt worry about taking the 1 neon back, d look at getting say 5 more just to make a small schoal. :nod:

Neons don't do well in newly established tanks, it should be fully matured before you even consider putting them in :nod:

Since it's heavily planted, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting away with a pair of dwarf gourami, but i'd pay really close attention since the majority of fish you have swim towards the top of the tank and in such a small space things could get a bit clutered :no:

So you think just 1 male gourami would do better? I don't want to breed them... just thought he may like company. As for the tetra, will they live ok together? Also, can 2 male gouramis live together ok?
What are some lower-water dwellers that would do ok? I'm pretty new to this, so I never thought about where they swim at. So much information! :S

you wont want two male gouramis in that small of a tank....and usually it is tough to find female dwarf gouramis in the store, so should probably stick with a single male unless you can get a definite pair...as for the bottom - what about some cory cats?

fishwatcher said:
well, I've heard they will hurt their whiskers on the rocks. Anything else they isn't so delicate?
is it just normal gravel?? cories will do fine in normal gravel, although do prefer sand a little more from my observations (keep in mind it is very cheap and easy to switch to sand...even in a planted tank)! ....besides cories you don't have too many options for bottom dwelling fish in that size tank....maybe some khuli loaches (they look kind of worm-like) would work well....

yes, you use ordinary (silica?) playsand....just rinse throughly before putting in your tank so it doesn't cloud the water (there are a ton of posts on switcing to sand - have a look)....

also, from everything i've heard and read, a very very small amount of bacteria is present in the substrate, therefore switching to sand really should not affect your cycle noticeably

I think you should hold off a little and make sure your tank is cycled before you add dwarf gouramis; I've been told they can be sensitive to water quality. Am planning to get a pair myself (plenty of females around my way), but am waiting for my tank to be a little more mature first.

Are you set on dwarf gouramies? Honey gouramies (colisa chuna/sota), are hardier, a little smaller and occupy a smaller territory. They are better suited to a 10 gallon and you can usualy find females so you could get a trio provided that won't render you overstocked (depends on just how many other fish you're going to put in). Their beautiful yellow and black (males) and honey (females) colors should make a nice contrast with the blue of the guppies and the red/blue of your neon (though I would either add at least a couple more neons or re-home it). Again, a single male is less likely to result in trouble though, as I said, a male with a couple of females would also work. If you are set on a dwarf, go for it but only get one for now.

I would second Sylvia. Chocolate gouramis are hardier in MYHO. Dwarfs if from the asian strain are highly likely to die within weeks of buying them. They develop lesions and just die. IME they don't respond to meds, and why buy fish that are likely to have problems anyway? I wouldn't recommend chocs for your tank though, they need matured tanks, just thought I might clear that up.

However, if you were able to secure a dwarf gourami from a Euro line, you could have yourself a very hardy fish. I don't know as I haven't been able to track any down.

Cheers, good luck with stocking, its a good stage! :D

Chocolate gouramis are hardier in MYHO

I'd have to disagree, Chocolate gourami would need a species tank due to the low ph, hardness and lighting they are accustomed to. Also they require to be kept in a group of at least 6 needing careful and close attention since they're rather fragile.

If you have not had any experice with gourami before don't go with Chocolates since it would be akin to diving into the deep end of a pool having never swum before.

fishwatcher said:
How do you know if it's an Asian or a Euro fish?
The best thing to do would be to ask the LFS your buying from to contact their supplier and enquire there

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back