The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have aquarium gravel, which I know isn't ideal, but I didn't think it could be problematic. Could it be the reason my cories are dying off? My water parameters check out fine, but I only have test strips. I'm getting a test kit later on today so then I'll know for sure if water quality is an issue. I suspected disease at first but learned that shouldn't be enough to kill them off at the rate they're dying. I can't fully replace the substrate because I'm afraid that might hurt the beneficial bacteria or anything else. I could lay sand on top. Is sand required for corydora survival or is it most likely something else?

I have aquarium gravel, which I know isn't ideal, but I didn't think it could be problematic. Could it be the reason my cories are dying off? My water parameters check out fine, but I only have test strips. I'm getting a test kit later on today so then I'll know for sure if water quality is an issue. I suspected disease at first but learned that shouldn't be enough to kill them off at the rate they're dying. I can't fully replace the substrate because I'm afraid that might hurt the beneficial bacteria or anything else. I could lay sand on top. Is sand required for corydora survival or is it most likely something else?
Sand laid on top will fall through.
How old is the tank? If its mature, a full substrate switch will not cause problems.

Where did you get the idea that disease couldn't kill off fish quickly? Different diseases certainly can.
A relevant quote from our disease expert, @Colin_T
Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl.

A dirty filter means all the aquarium water is passing through fish poop and picking up all sorts of nasty microscopic organisms

Dirty gravel is another haven for harmful disease organisms.

You can do as many water changes as you like, but if the filter is dirty and the gravel has lots of gunk in it, then the water will be contaminated very quickly by all the nasty things in the filter and gravel.

That's why the first thing I tell people to do if their fish is sick, is clean the glass to remove the biofilm, clean the filter to get rid of the gunk, and clean the gravel to remove the crap in that. Then a big water change to dilute any disease organisms in the water.

Corydoras can survive on (regularly cleaned) gravel. But they cannot filter feed the way they much prefer to do, as they do on fine smooth sand. They're also very vulnerable t barbel damage and erosion when kept on rougher substrates or gravel.

They'll survive but won't thrive, and that adds to stress and overall weakening of the fish. On top of that depending on how rough thr gravel is, it might damage their barbels sooner or later, and infections of all types will find their way into the fish due to those wounds.
I've seen your threads about the issues you're having and overall you seem to want to do the right thing, even if you were trying to skirt getting "scolded" which isn't the purpose or tone of the forum ad a whole. Keep in mind this is a written medium and what's typed and how you perceive that message are different things. All of us came here at some point knowing nothing or next to it, and we all are always learning.

Back to the sand question. A 50 lb bag of quickrete play sand at the home depot costs less than $10 last I checked, and that should be enough for your tank, and then some.
If it's your tank, you have to let your parents know you'll take care of it and actually follow thru with it and do it. A lone cory is already in a less than optimal situation, having an incompatible substrate only compounds what's already a rough going for that fish.

Where did you get the idea that disease couldn't kill off fish quickly? Different diseases certainly can.
A relevant quote from our disease expert, @Colin_T

Corydoras can survive on (regularly cleaned) gravel. But they cannot filter feed the way they much prefer to do, as they do on fine smooth sand. They're also very vulnerable to barbel damage and erosion when kept on rougher substrates or gravel.
Because my fish die a day or two after showing symptoms. I did clean the filter when I noticed they weren't okay. There aren't external symptoms and I thought it might be internal parasites or gill flukes, but others told me these conditions wouldn't kill that fast.

They'll survive but won't thrive, and that adds to stress and overall weakening of the fish. On top of that depending on how rough the gravel is, it might damage their barbels sooner or later, and infections of all types will find their way into the fish due to those wounds.
I've seen your threads about the issues you're having and overall, you seem to want to do the right thing, even if you were trying to skirt getting "scolded" which isn't the purpose or tone of the forum ad a whole. Keep in mind this is a written medium and what's typed and how you perceive that message are different things. All of us came here at some point knowing nothing or next to it, and we all are always learning.

Back to the sand question. A 50 lb. bag of quickrete play sand at the Home Depot costs less than $10 last I checked, and that should be enough for your tank, and then some.
If it's your tank, you have to let your parents know you'll take care of it and actually follow thru with it and do it. A lone cory is already in a less than optimal situation, having an incompatible substrate only compounds what's already a rough going for that fish.
Maybe it is infections if it's deadly. I'm going to the pet store today, is there recommendations for sand I can get there? The lone cory will get friends once I figure out what's wrong.

Substrate is unlikely to kill the fish.

You have been pumping out threads about fish dying but they have so much stuff in them I can't be bothered reading them.

Start at the beginning and tell us what is wrong with the fish and what has been going on. Keep it short and sweet and add some pictures.

Sand laid on top will fall through.
How old is the tank? If its mature, a full substrate switch will not cause problems.
It's two years old, I think. I could switch the substrate but I'm nervous that such a big change could kill my fish.

Maybe it is infections if it's deadly. I'm going to the pet store today, is there recommendations for sand I can get there? The lone cory will get friends once I figure out what's wrong.
I personally wouldn't buy any sand from the pet store it's overpriced, and the fine grain of quickrete is better for the cory.
In general for this tank situation, don't make any other changes until you get the water test kit (if you're going to the store take a sample of water so they can test it for you too, most stores do that) to get a quick glimpse of what you're dealing with. And yeah, you need to post pictures, in cases like this, "a picture is worth a thousand words" hold as truthful as it can ever be.

Start at the beginning and tell us what is wrong with the fish and what has been going on. Keep it short and sweet and add some pictures.
Corydoras have been dying off one by one. Symptoms are lethargy, losing weight, curved spine, and dying a day or two after showing symptoms. I've noticed that there's blood, but only on the dead fish, the living fish never bleed.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 45
Corydoras have been dying off one by one. Symptoms are lethargy, losing weight, curved spine, and dying a day or two after showing symptoms. I've noticed that there's blood, but only on the dead fish, the living fish never bleed.
Is the water in the tank that murky or is it just the photo? maybe you could post a full picture of the tank?

I answered this question in another response in another thread (the one on cories dying), and won't repeat here. But I will post the scientific data from Ian Fuller, who knows as much about this group of fish (the Corydoradinae family which includes the hundreds of species in the genera Corydoras, Aspidoras, and Scleromystax (and Brochis, technically now synonymous with Corydoras) as anyone. His website is CorydorasWorld (there is a free Facebook page as well), he maintains a list of the as-yet undescribed new species (in the hundreds) and he has collected fish in most of their habitats.

There are constantly discussions held on social media channels as to the correct substrate for Corydoradinae catfishes. So, I decided to put some of the facts together based on personal observation in many species of Corydoras’s natural habitats.​
The first thing to remember with this group of fishes is that they are primarily filter feeders. They do not have cutting or crushing teeth like some of the predatory Catfish, nor do the have rasping teeth like the grazing Loricariid Catfish, these fish will sift the substrate, which in the majority of cases is sand.​
Smooth sand which been created over millions of years by the constant tumbling action of moving water, whether it be the oceans tidal and wave actions or the constant varying flow of rivers. The more the flow and tumbling action the finer the sand becomes.​
In some areas the sand found can be fairly course, and grains could be as large as one millimetre, or as fine as caster sugar, the one thing that will be common is that the grains will be smooth and not sharp and gritty like quarried sand as use in the building industry.​
Over many years I have spent many hours watching, and filming Cory’s feeding, in some cases it is quite comical, especially with the larger straight (Lineage 8) and curved (Lineage 1) snouted species who tend to bury the deepest, Some almost completely burying themselves when they dive right in searching out the food they sense is there. I have taken video clips of the feeding actions of several species from different lineages. And all, even the smallest species will mouth the sand.​
Many people argue and state that “Their Cory’s are perfectly happy living over gravel”. But I find it very difficult to see how they can determine the happiness of a fish. They may be surviving and because they are actively scurrying around in their constant hunt for food are seen as being happy.​
I have seen video’s on face book showing the presenter displaying a rough irregular gravel they discovered at a particular location and stating that Cory’s are happy living amongst it. However, I know and have collected in that very location many times and the gravel compound that the person in the video is showing is actually part of the aggregate that was used during the construction of the relatively new nearby road bridge.​
There are places where there are gravel, pebble and rock rivers and streams, but when taking a good look at some of these places the streams and riverbeds are sand. The natural habitat of C. weitzmani is one such place. I have never seen deep layers of a single sizes gravel; it is always a range of many variable sizes and usually it appears as a widespread scattering.​
The biggest problem with using any type of gravel in an aquarium is that food particles will fall between the particles and decompose, and if the aquarium is not maintained and or filtered adequately the water quality will deteriorate very quickly. The other danger as far as keeping Cory’s over gravel is the fact that they cannot easily move gravel to access the particles of food within it, and if the gravel is of anything other than smooth and rounded particles they can and often do damage their delicate barbels and mouths parts.​
As I hinted at earlier, different forms and sizes of Cory will feed at different levels in the substrate, from dwarf species working the surface, medium round snouted species delving five or six millimetres into it, and the larger straight and saddle snouted species often burying themselves.​
Regarding decoration, naturally there are few plant laden habitats, most are plain sand streams and riverbeds, in swampy areas there may be some vegetation, but there will certainly be lots and lots of leaf litter, tree roots, fallen branches, twigs and vine roots.​

Not quite true. A substrate change can often cause a mini-cycle, since the substrate provides a large surface area for a lot of BB to live in. This is usually short lived and easily managed with large daily water changes for a week or so while the BB colonies grow back to previous size, but it's best to be aware and prepared for that so it can be managed.

Somewhere way back in all these threads I suggested Mycobacter. That view hasn't changed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back