Can Coldwater Fish Live With Tropical Fish.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering if a goldfish can live with tropical fish. The reason being, i've just got a tank for my friend for free, with it there was 3 goldfish, and 1 of them is one of the most beautiful goldfish i have come across. Its tail is massive. I would like to keep it, but my goldfish tank is fairly small. Would i be able to keep in my tropical tank, or would it cause to many problems.

I don't want to put it in there and it harms the fish in a bad way.

Thanks

sambangert

nope this is a deffo no no as goldfish are cold water fish i.e unheated water, just get a larger tank if you really want the goldfish.

I was just wondering if a goldfish can live with tropical fish. The reason being, i've just got a tank for my friend for free, with it there was 3 goldfish, and 1 of them is one of the most beautiful goldfish i have come across. Its tail is massive. I would like to keep it, but my goldfish tank is fairly small. Would i be able to keep in my tropical tank, or would it cause to many problems.

I don't want to put it in there and it harms the fish in a bad way.

Thanks

sambangert

As Knight said, goldfish are unsuitable for tropical set-ups. Goldfish are very messy, and cause the water quality to detiriorate quickly, thus making conditions less that ideal for their tank mates. Also, goldfish will eat most comunity tropicals, given a chance. They will also fin-nip, hense not beeing advisable to mix orrandas and goldfish. Finaly, there is the small issue of temporature.......Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but they are going to need seporate tanks :(

Well i heard some people do keep coldwater fish with ntropical fish. And they live together normally.

yea coldwater fish, but not goldifish.. theres other coldwater's that live just fine with tropicals

My goldifsh are fine in with my tigerbarbs and rainbow shark as well as my pleco...

no heater either... cold enough for goldfish and warn enough for the others.... thier perfectly fine...

nope this is a deffo no no as goldfish are cold water fish i.e unheated water, just get a larger tank if you really want the goldfish.

Actually goldfisha aren't a true coldwater fish. A coldwater fish is a fish that needs cold water to survive. A sterlet is a cold water fish that cannot have temperatures above 60 degrees or it will sicken and die. A goldfish is a fish indigenous in a temperate climate that very similar to which I live in in Marlyand. Just because they can sustain themselves in cold temperatures doesn't mean they don't prefer warm temperatures, which they do. I wouldn't go over 74 degrees, no, but if you wan't to talk about temperatures barriers, some tropical fish and gold fish can live together very happy.

Now the reason I give for NEVER mixing tropical fish and goldfish is that goldfish carry tons of diseases that they seem to not express or are even immune to, but that tropical fish can succumb to very quickly. Never mix the two.

ALso rabbut, I don't know what goldfish you have, but they are normally not nippy or agressive at all, and are probably the most peaceful fish you can get on the market, they won't eat anything that can't easily fit in their mouths, nor are most fancy goldfish physically capable of catching live food due to their bulky body structures.

You'd also need a large tank to keep Goldfish; 20G for the first, extra 10G volume for each additional Goldfish.

You'd also need a large tank to keep Goldfish; 20G for the first, extra 10G volume for each additional Goldfish.
I used to have a black moor goldfish / black panda goldfish inside my tropical aquarium which had my snow flake eels, oscar tiger cichlids, snails, ect, and they all lived very happily together... until one of the eels ate the goldfish... :(

I've had goldfish in tropical tanks for years, My father has had goldfish in tropical tanks for as long as I can remember.
They grow very big very fast though and often turn white!

I keep a goldfish in my tropical tank, because he was the leftover of a fishtank deal (package including 3 goldfish to cycle; I know now that it is definitively not the way to go). The only problem I am seeing at the moment is that he is like an elefant in a chinaware cupboard; he regularly slaps other fish in the face with his tail when he is moving around. He will be going to his own tank soon though, cause he's eating my plants!

To be honest, coldwater fish can adapt to warmer waters pretty easily... I say 1 won't hurt the goldfish much at all, just make sure to let it float for awhile and you'll be fine. (Yell at me I don't care).

To be honest, coldwater fish can adapt to warmer waters pretty easily... I say 1 won't hurt the goldfish much at all, just make sure to let it float for awhile and you'll be fine. (Yell at me I don't care).

Read my post. It's exactly what I said but in more detail. No one will yell at you. It's a fact that goldfish live in more temperate waters. But they prefer warmer waters, just like most tropical fish do. Just because they can live in water of 32 degrees F doesn't mean they don't like it at 74 F.

Don't flip out, I don't have time to read every post in a topic, I add my 2 cents and move on, I was expecting to be yelled at like the life fish thing, the overstocking, mixing african/new world cichlids all those things. Just take it as I backed up your post k.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back