Can Anyone I.d. This Fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

keenonfish

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey folks just found a fry swimming round in my shrimp tank :hyper: ... How the heck it got there not too sure must have moved as an egg with some moss or maybe when I netted some shrimp a while back... Quite chuffed for it to have made it this far without any help from me!

IMG_7098.jpg

It must be either a Neon, Cardinal, Glowlight or a Black Phantom tetra. So interested to know your views!

Will try to upload better shot tomorrow maybe.

Cant be neon or cardinal as the eggs are very photosensitive and the eggs would of been killed off.

Glowlights is possible but not to easy to hatch again.

Black Phantom tetra no idea as never bread them.

Is your water soft?

quite often you get WCMM eggs on imported plants if you got any plants lately.

Cant be neon or cardinal as the eggs are very photosensitive and the eggs would of been killed off.

Glowlights is possible but not to easy to hatch again.

Black Phantom tetra no idea as never bread them.

Is your water soft?

quite often you get WCMM eggs on imported plants if you got any plants lately.

Not had any plants for ages mate. I took a couple of Cories from a member here recently so there is a possible source of something there I guess, although they were netted after I had emptied the bag into a container and dripped water into this until volume doubled. Seems it could be a possible source..
The water in the main tank is just above 6 (CO2) and all the tetras are nearly constantly showing signs of spawning after lights out (I did post a vid of this recently). I had been informed already that cardinals were next to impossible so it was wishful thinking I guess :).

Just looked again he does appear to have white tips to the fins which my Glowlights also have.

Frustrating because decent fry pics seem to be non existent on the net!

it looks like a glowlight too

Not sure tbh, just read this description...

At first the young fishes are yellowish but later they develop a dark pattern all over the body. They consume relitively large pieces of live food such as nauplii of brine shrimp. They grow well and fast. In recent years a golden breeding form has become popular with aquarists.

So seems unlikely. Gonna be interesting to see what it turns into!

Update... looking like a glowlight now.. Can't see anything that significantly differentiates adult from fry yet!

tetrab.jpg

Adult Male..

Img_7354.jpg

Could still be a BPT???

Black Phantom Tetra fry (Megalamphodus megalopterus)
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back