Can anybody identify these snails

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Deanoliv

Reaction score
1000016376.jpg

Hello, any help would be appreciated.

I do like these snails, but they are abit prolific in breeding! Any help on identification and breeding control will be great.

Thanks Dean

Last edited:
Physid snails, one of the so-called pond snails. The chances are they came in as either snails or eggs on your plants.

They breed more if they have a lot of food - uneaten fish food, algae in the tank. When they take over it's usually because the fish are being over fed. Fish need a lot less food than you'd think. The majority of our food goes to maintain our body temperature. Fish get their body temp from the water so they need a lot less food than we do, body weight for body weight.
If you want to get rid of them you could try a snail trap. For this you need a jar with a screw top lid. Punch holes in the lid from the outside so that the spikes around the holes point into the jar. The holes need to be big enough for snails to get through but small enough so the fish can't. Just before the room lights are turned off for the night, put lettuce into the jar and put the jar on the bottom of the tank. In theory, the snails will go into the jar to eat the lettuce and the spikes around the holes will stop them getting back out.

Thanks for the reply it's much appreciated.

I have been experimenting with cutting down food, I worry I'm starving the fish sometimes but I think I need to worry about less about that.

Can these snails survive in cold water do you think? I have a water butt full of algae they could be moved to while I work on my over feeding haha

They would probably die if we have a cold winter, though that's not guaranteed. Members have had snails survive in blocks of frozen water :unsure:

Again, another option would be assassin snails!
If you don’ t know what those are, this is it: Snails that eat snails

Most reactions

Back