can all this fish fit in my 10 gallon tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well, they will all fit in the 10 gallon, but it is certainly way overstocked. There's a site that allows you to plug in your stock and your tank size and it tells you the stocking level you are at. Not knowing what kind of tetras you have, when I plugged in the fish listed above the site came back with a stocking level of 260%. Here's a link to the site:

The swordtail is going to get too big for your tank as will rosy barbs.

Also, a few of these fish like to be in groups of at least 5 - your tetras and danios. So ideally you'd need more of each of those for the fish to feel safe and really enjoy their best behavior.

If you wanted to keep all the fish listed above you'd probably need a 29 gallon. If you could rehome the swordtails and rosy barbs you could possibly keep the guppies, danios and tetras in a 29g. But add enough of each fish to form a small shoal.

Can you also post your water parameters? I believe guppies need pretty hard water whereas something like a tetra prefers softer water. So you may have a mix of fish that need different water parameters.

Last edited:
Well, they will all fit in the 10 gallon, but it is certainly way overstocked. There's a site that allows you to plug in your stock and your tank size and it tells you the stocking level you are at. Not knowing what kind of tetras you have, when I plugged in the fish listed above the site came back with a stocking level of 260%. So it's way over-stocked. Here's a link to the site:

The swordtail is going to get too big for your tank as will rosy barbs.

Also, a few of these fish like to be in groups of at least 5 - your tetras and danios. So ideally you'd need more of each of those for the fish to feel safe and really enjoy their best behavior.

If you wanted to keep all the fish listed above you'd probably need a 29 gallon. If you could rehome the swordtails and rosy barbs you could possibly keep the guppies, danios and tetras in a 29g. But add enough of each fish to form a small shoal.

Can you also post your water parameters? I believe guppies need pretty hard water whereas something like a tetra prefers softer water. So you may have a mix of fish that need different water parameters.
Great advice.

A single Betta or pea puffers would work in a 10g tank. (Not together though)

Most tetras would be perfectly fine in a 20g long or 29g tank.

It is recommended that all schooling fish need a group of at least 6 or 7. Just following up on your point.

i have a 10 gallon tank and i have 3 zebra danio 4 swordtails 2 tetras 2 rosy barbs and 6 guppies can all these guppies fit or should i get another tank
Danios, tetras and rosy barbs need soft water and the swordtails and guppies like hard water.

It is recommended that all schooling fish need a group of at least 6 or 7. Just following up on your point.
The more the better. (Depending on what size tank the OP will get)

Bigger tank = more stocking options (and more fish!)

In my opinion that's way too much for a 10 gallon. You need a bigger tank for all that. Get a betta for a 10G or maybe a school of 6 fish at most would be my recommendation.

A good fish for a tank of that size is most likley going to be a betta. Maybe a small school of neons (6)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back