CAE discolored head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juhason

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a chinese algae eater who is about 2 or 3” now and just recently his head started to change color. From far away it looked like a growth of some kind and I panicked that I had colunmaris again but when I look closely it looks almost like it’s just part of his skin or like an algae stain. I have some pictures but it’s hard to capture him from a good angle.

Is this something I should worry about or is this normal? I have heard of CAEs changing color before. Let me know, thank you!
kr8GELJ.jpg

jVECr1y.jpg

q3Ar37A.jpg

PdEtW0I.jpg

The tank is freshwater right?
I only ask because the rocks and substrate look marine based with limestone rocks and beach sand.

The fish appears to be a Siamese Algae Eater/ Siamese Flying Fox, not a Chinese Algae Eater, which has brown patches on its body.

The yellow area on the face and head appears to be a bit pitted/ depressed around the nostrils. Can you confirm this?

I have never seen a fish get yellow on it like this and it does not fit any disease I have seen before. It could be natural colouration coming from a new colour form being produced in Asia, (a mutation) or it could be something else.

I would monitor the fish and as long as it is still eating and swimming normally, then I wouldn't worry too much. If the yellow area on its head is sunken in a bit and gets more noticeable, then it is something to worry about.

The tank is freshwater right?
I only ask because the rocks and substrate look marine based with limestone rocks and beach sand.

The fish appears to be a Siamese Algae Eater/ Siamese Flying Fox, not a Chinese Algae Eater, which has brown patches on its body.

The yellow area on the face and head appears to be a bit pitted/ depressed around the nostrils. Can you confirm this?

I have never seen a fish get yellow on it like this and it does not fit any disease I have seen before. It could be natural colouration coming from a new colour form being produced in Asia, (a mutation) or it could be something else.

I would monitor the fish and as long as it is still eating and swimming normally, then I wouldn't worry too much. If the yellow area on its head is sunken in a bit and gets more noticeable, then it is something to worry about.
It is freshwater, the rocks I gathered from the river I caught all the other fish in the tank from so I'm not sure what type of stone it is. I think it is the remains of an old structure that used to be above the river ages ago but I honestly don't know haha.
As for the type of fish he is, he is definitely a CAE. He had more of those spots when he was smaller but they are not as obvious now that he is over but I am not sure if the spots are an identifying factor for the CAE. Other than the stripe down the middle, the CAE and SAE look pretty different. I'll check around the nostrils when I get home to see if it looks pitted but I don't remember noticing that. I'll take a look!

He is still acting normal so I am hoping he is just changing color as he is growing. Just wanted to hear other people's opinion on it! :)

Most reactions

trending

Back