C. Aeneus Fry- When To Move Them?

greenmumma141

Fish Herder
Reaction score
 I currently have a little "fry box" of c. aeneus fry that is sitting in my 60g.  I'm a little hesitant to move then to my 10g shrimp (a small group of pearl blues) tank.  I've never made it to this stage with any cory fry before, so I was hoping someone with some experience could tell me at what age they've successfully moved the fry to a real tank.  Thank you :)

I wanted to wish you well on this mumma... but my cories were born, grew up and stayed in my main tank, so I can't help you.

How big are they now?

Thanks Eagles!! It feels great to get them to this point.

Just counted 10 fry and 1 shrimp in the fry box. 

Here's a pic to show the size, the pellet is a Hikari sinking pellet (orange bag). Just for size comparison. 

Also, I've been feeding First Bites, and if anyone could tell me when they switched foods and what they use once the fry are in a bigger tank, I would appreciate that as well. 

They're still so tiny :/ . It makes me nervous just thinking about moving them, but the little box is getting harder and harder to keep clean, it's been almost two weeks. The sand almost has a slimy top coat to it, and I don't want to start losing them. Still doing 3-4 wc's a day.

Looks like two more in the lower right hand corner of the pic.

Not sure I can help you with that.  I have always just let nature take its course. :dunno:

yep. There's actually another one at 6'oclock from the pellet too, but you can't see him with the reflection. He's much lighter than the others too, maybe an albino?! That would be exciting... there's one that's darker than the others too, I'm hoping he's from when one of my black venezuelans spawned with my big mama green. THAT would be very exciting lol.... 

What else is in the tank with the cories?

A pearl blue shrimp.

Or do you mean my tank, tank?! They certainly wouldn't survive if I put them in my 60g, that's for sure. My loaches and bolivians would be very grateful though ;)    

And if you were referring to my 10g, just the pearl blue shrimp (Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis) and about 15-20 platy babies

Also, I've been feeding First Bites, and if anyone could tell me when they switched foods and what they use once the fry are in a bigger tank, I would appreciate that as well.

They'll be fine on powdered food for months. I normally switch to micro pellets at some stage when they are biggish but still alternate with powdered food. They sift through the sand so even when big they don't mind the small food.
If the bigger tank has predatory fish then wait until at least 2 months old but that depends on how fast the corys grow as some maybe quite small even at that age, some could be bigger than a guppy for example.

Okay, thanks Snazy.  I'll stick with the first bites for a while, and every once in a while I have to throw a pellet for my shrimp, so that will be a good way to see if they're ready too.

I put the baby cories in the 10 g last night... I didn't get much sleep, hope they're doing alright :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back