Bye Bye 5 x 60, hello 200

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

For anyone who might be interested, I sorted the 53 gallon yesterday. Using old media it will be ready for inhabitants when they arrive next week. It is a little cloudy but that is to be expected since there is a full bed of sand that got kicked up a little

The stock will be....30 Neon Tetra, 10 Corydora Venezuelan Orange and a matched pair of Fire Red Apisto

View attachment 304222

I have used 2 x Interpet CF3 filters this time. There are caves within the resin mangroves on either end. There is 20kg of Kivu sand, various rocks and artificial plants plus real moss balls, Mopani and floating plants stolen from Fred's aquarium.

The filters would not fit initially so ended up cutting the hood...that didn't go well and the filters vibrated, so remounted the filters and have a new hood on order.

Should be fine once the mistiness clears in a day or two. I am boosting the old media with a heavy dose of bottled bacteria every day and will do that right til the fish arrive til they take over that duty.
Looking good 😍 really like the look of the kivu sand.

Nice viewing set up to how youve done the layout. Fish will be centre stage but have the outer rims to feel secure 🙂

Very nice

I agree it looks really nice!

Thank you both for the compliments.

The good thing about going artificial is that when something looks odd, it can be hooked out and changed to something else. The bush on the front left didn't look right, so changed it for a different one....imho looks better now. Still a little mist in the water but certainly getting itself settled.

IMG_20221106_092225_resized_20221106_092259526.jpg

Sat staring at it here in my lounge, it doesn't even look artifical now......

I still think an all artificial only aquarium competition is required on this site @Fishmanic

Open size since there would be enough artificial aquariums of various sizes to enter and to make things worthwhile.

Might be fun and interesting.

Afterall, keeping fish and being on sites like this are meant to be fun and insteresting aren't they?

Thank you both for the compliments.

The good thing about going artificial is that when something looks odd, it can be hooked out and changed to something else. The bush on the front left didn't look right, so changed it for a different one....imho looks better now. Still a little mist in the water but certainly getting itself settled.

View attachment 304273
Nice!🙂 id change one thing (i hope you dont mind me saying) just tell me to do one if you do 🤣

Could you lower the heater or hide it behind the tall plants on the right. Just catches the eye in the centre there.

Cant wait to see your fish in 🙂

Nice!🙂 id change one thing (i hope you dont mind me saying) just tell me to do one if you do 🤣

Could you lower the heater or hide it behind the tall plants on the right. Just catches the eye in the centre there.

Cant wait to see your fish in 🙂
Unfortunately I was forced to super glue the heater carrier in place since it refused to stay put, so it cannot be shifted downwards

Once the residents are in there, it shouldn't be quite so "in your face" with a cloud of Neon's scurrying about. (In theory anyway)

Looking from the left side and above via the feed hatches....just about see the 3rd resin mangrove stump infront of the second filter

The filters are now running quietly - each has a documented 700 lph, which in reality is likely to be closer to 600 lph. One at each end of the aquarium, essentially they give the waterfall effect of a HOB without being a HOB. Unlike the smaller CF filters, the CF3 is topless. I use my own media set up and not the provided media.

The filters...left (with GKM oulet beside it) and right. Tops of resin mangroves in view, they break the flow to prevent it disturbing the substrate and to soften the flow for fish swimming underneath

IMG_20221106_124919_resized_20221106_125008253.jpg IMG_20221106_124935_resized_20221106_125007945.jpg

Full aquarium from left side...

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_124335_resized_20221106_124409665.jpg
    IMG_20221106_124335_resized_20221106_124409665.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 33
Technological defectivenesses and stupid suction cups......that's fish speak for expletives

Fish arrive tomorrow.

One filter packed up working last night....yes a brand new filter died on me. It is on the way back to the retailer.
The other filter's suction cups refuse to stay still so am having to hoik it up the glass every few hours.

Tomorrow another filter arrives (hopefully before the fish).....no suction cups....magnetic.....Sicce Shark Pro 900

(I also have a Turbo 1500 spare coming too....just incase)

Still I would rather deal with issues before the fish arrived than have filter trouble afterwards. Still flippin' aggravating though. The aquarium is crystal clear now, I have also done a partial water refresh this morning ready for the new hooligans tomorrow.

All good fun if you don't weaken......whoever thinks keeping fish is easy and stress free needs a kick up the rump.

All new residents have arrived safe and well.

They are all getting used to their new home with lighting off til tomorrow.

All very healthy and active fish...good colouration on all of them within moments of going into their new home.

I shall take a photo or two tomorrow once they are settled in...but so far, so good

The new Sicce filter is brilliant...love the magnetic attachment to the glass and the magnetic media box fittings. I have it on a mid range flow on the integrated spray bar. I might change over to its venturi tomorrow, its an all in one unit, extremely easy to set up and exceptionally quiet too. The filter is new to the market, was only released by Sicce in May 2022....they come with a 5 year warranty too which is amazing. Shark Pro 900 internal filter, £67.99 from Aquacadabra (or Pro-Shrimp).

OK @AquaBarb. @connorlindeman and anyone else interested.....the fishies!

The water was actually lovely and clear before the new hooligans moved in yesterday, its gone a wee bit cloudy this morning but we are all safe and sound

The pair of Fire Red Apisto have already decided on their cave and are hiding inside...they are a little over an inch long, about the same as everyone else in length

The Cories are being typical Cories and bouncing all over the place....the Neon Tetras are getting into the swing of things slowly

It will take a week or so for them to settle into a routine and get used to their new home...but all 42 fish are alive and well and active which is the objective

IMG_20221111_054222_resized_20221111_054349483.jpg IMG_20221111_054241_resized_20221111_054349149.jpg

OK @AquaBarb. @connorlindeman and anyone else interested.....the fishies!

The water was actually lovely and clear before the new hooligans moved in yesterday, its gone a wee bit cloudy this morning but we are all safe and sound

The pair of Fire Red Apisto have already decided on their cave and are hiding inside...they are a little over an inch long, about the same as everyone else in length

The Cories are being typical Cories and bouncing all over the place....the Neon Tetras are getting into the swing of things slowly

It will take a week or so for them to settle into a routine and get used to their new home...but all 42 fish are alive and well and active which is the objective

View attachment 304772 View attachment 304773
Thats great news 😀 glad all the fish have arrived safe and sound. Im sure they will settle down lovely in this set up.

Think youve done a good job here with the scape and what youve picked stocking wise. Ive always liked the Venezuela orange myself😍

Shall look forward to more pictures when everything settles.

Thats great news 😀 glad all the fish have arrived safe and sound. Im sure they will settle down lovely in this set up.

Think youve done a good job here with the scape and what youve picked stocking wise. Ive always liked the Venezuela orange myself😍

Shall look forward to more pictures when everything settles.
Thank you @AquaBarb

I had one alteration on the stock due to a problem at the supplier involving the health of their Venezuelan Orange Cories.

They contacted me to let me know that their Venezuelan's were not able to be shipped, so after a quick phone call, they were subsituted with Corydora Rabauti / Rusty Cories instead.

Everything else is as it was arranged. They have gone through their first full day in the aquarium without any issues, eating well, very active and getting braver....in the Cories case, getting sillier :lol:

Must be doing something right....all 42 fish are alive, kicking and generally sorting their hierarchy out....

Squabbling Neon Tetras trying to sort who will be boss Tetra....the Cories are still just being the usual aquarium clowns...the pair of Apisto are getting braver but still not entirely sure about where they are or the horde of lunatics that are sharing their space....we're getting settled albeit slow and steady. Very tiny fish but all healthy and eating very well.

I have a delivery of floating plants coming from Aqua Essentials later today to add to the floaters already in the aquarium, so should aid in getting everyone calmed and settled

They watched intently as I did Fred's water change this morning....their turn next week.

Thank you @AquaBarb

I had one alteration on the stock due to a problem at the supplier involving the health of their Venezuelan Orange Cories.

They contacted me to let me know that their Venezuelan's were not able to be shipped, so after a quick phone call, they were subsituted with Corydora Rabauti / Rusty Cories instead.

Everything else is as it was arranged. They have gone through their first full day in the aquarium without any issues, eating well, very active and getting braver....in the Cories case, getting sillier :lol:

Must be doing something right....all 42 fish are alive, kicking and generally sorting their hierarchy out....

Squabbling Neon Tetras trying to sort who will be boss Tetra....the Cories are still just being the usual aquarium clowns...the pair of Apisto are getting braver but still not entirely sure about where they are or the horde of lunatics that are sharing their space....we're getting settled albeit slow and steady. Very tiny fish but all healthy and eating very well.

I have a delivery of floating plants coming from Aqua Essentials later today to add to the floaters already in the aquarium, so should aid in getting everyone calmed and settled

They watched intently as I did Fred's water change this morning....their turn next week.
Is your Bn going to go back in this tank or is fred keeping his room mate in the 29

Is your Bn going to go back in this tank or is fred keeping his room mate in the 29
I think she might stay with Fred in the 29 gallon. Fred does still chase the BN but gives up almost immediately now or just flares and swims off elsewhere. Thinking Fred has finally decided to leave her alone...all digits crossed.

Obviously I shall keep a watch on them but its looking much better...they tolerate each other, they might never enjoy each others company but at least Fred isn't getting physical anymore.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back