Building Myself A Pc

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:
Reaction score
hi guys, i am thinking of (well actually now i have the case i have to) building my own pc.

I am basing it around win xp 32 bit with a abit motherboard, 4 gb of ram and a amd athlon x64bit dual core processor.

i am also thinking of getting an api sapphire graphics card.

Do you have any suggestions on what i could use instead of these parts? AS LONG AS i keep my paper round up i will have an unlimited budget. I know, xp is rubbish but i managed to get this far with it (a acer aspire 3001lc with an amd sempron and 2 gb of ram) with only one bsod so i am a bit reluctant to give it up. I only have 32 bit because i cant seem to get the 64 bit anywhere and if i did get 64 bit the files probably wouldnt be compatible between the two of them.

Any suggestions?

Blubble37
Geek of the universe.

First up - what's your budget?
Have you already purchase the CPU and motherboard?
What do you plan to use the new PC for?

XP is dead - All support for critical patches will soon stop leaving vulnerability issues.

64bit W7 is the way forward - All your files will work in a 64bit environment, but you may find some programmes won't and peripherals may need 64 bit drivers, but TBH these issues are far and few between.

PC Pitstop forums is an excellent site for info and advice.

First up - what's your budget?
Have you already purchase the CPU and motherboard?
What do you plan to use the new PC for?

XP is dead - All support for critical patches will soon stop leaving vulnerability issues.

64bit W7 is the way forward - All your files will work in a 64bit environment, but you may find some programmes won't and peripherals may need 64 bit drivers, but TBH these issues are far and few between.

PC Pitstop forums is an excellent site for info and advice.

Budget is 500 quid, nothing ordered apart from the case. and i hate 7 (sorry)

plan to use it for coursework, gaming and all round stuff. will need a Terabyte Hdd as well for my music collection (because having 2 250gb externals gets annoying).

OK,
I'm assuming you have an XP disc already (as you can't buy them anymore - don't go near Ebay!!)and that you have a standard ATX case (unless your up for some modding!)

Try this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-188-OK

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-248-SE&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1279

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-126-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-148-AN

That lot should give you a starting point. remember you will also need a DVD drive and possibly an after market cooler, that will take you up to your £500

If you can go £50 higher I would look at Corsair 750w PSU's.

Actually i have this case.

14457066-icoste.jpg

I love this fan.

turbdetail1024.jpg

Seriously do NOT get XP, it is dead in the water, plus it is rapidly becoming obsolete for gaming due to not supporting newer versions of directx.

Actually i have this case.

14457066-icoste.jpg

I love this fan.

turbdetail1024.jpg

Boy, she's ugly!!!

Each to their own though!

Have to agree with Gav - XP really is dead, I would not consider a new build then put XP on it.

Would you buy an AMG Mercedes then switch the engine out for an old beetle engine, because you liked the sound??

actually, i probably would lol. will get win 8 when it finishes beta stages.

actually, i probably would lol. will get win 8 when it finishes beta stages.

Good luck with W8!!

Seriously though if you need any help with any aspects of the build go to:

PC Pitstop

I'm a Moderator on there, so pop along and have a look.

Why not bust out the Windows 7 and make it look like Windows Classic. Not that much has changed really.

Why not bust out the Windows 7 and make it look like Windows Classic. Not that much has changed really.

Agreed, and what I've seen of windows 8, they seem to have taken the latest windows phone OS and ported it to a PC, apps and all!!

Also go AMD all the way, you can get a decent AMD Gaming machine for £500, the main thing you should splash out on is the Motherboard so that you can upgrade later down the line when you get some more money. Stay away from intel at your budget.

Also go AMD all the way, you can get a decent AMD Gaming machine for £500, the main thing you should splash out on is the Motherboard so that you can upgrade later down the line when you get some more money. Stay away from intel at your budget.

Currently the Intel I5 is actually the best bet for his money, and outperforms everything else for a £500 build.

Currently the Intel I5 is actually the best bet for his money, and outperforms everything else for a £500 build.

I agree with Tech Frog on this one here ^, i5 is the way to go on a budget if you can. AMD is great and all but with the performance you get from an i5 you may as well go for it.

However I kind of disagree with Aces on his comment about the motherboard. I think with the rate that computer technology is advancing today that splashing out massively on a motherboard might not be the best bet as when you come to "upgrade" or get something newer the chances are something newer that is compatible with your motherboard isn't going to be much better. Take CPUs, Hex cores are the new thing and no doubt in the not so distant future it will be 8 or what not which some current motherboards which would land in your budget would not be futureproof for.

When building a PC I find it's best to max out on the best you can currently have without really thinking for upgrades in the future, My opinion though.

I agree with Tech Frog on this one here ^, i5 is the way to go on a budget if you can. AMD is great and all but with the performance you get from an i5 you may as well go for it.

However I kind of disagree with Aces on his comment about the motherboard. I think with the rate that computer technology is advancing today that splashing out massively on a motherboard might not be the best bet as when you come to "upgrade" or get something newer the chances are something newer that is compatible with your motherboard isn't going to be much better. Take CPUs, Hex cores are the new thing and no doubt in the not so distant future it will be 8 or what not which some current motherboards which would land in your budget would not be futureproof for.

When building a PC I find it's best to max out on the best you can currently have without really thinking for upgrades in the future, My opinion though.

I've been lurking around some PC forums, as I am planning on building my own PC, pretty high spec. And it seems everyone avoids the i7 and everyone goes for the i5 2500, as it can overclock substantially and is cheap, I think. But every guide I've read is to find the "best" motherboard, not the most expensive sorry. So it does make upgrading in the future a lot easier.

Most reactions

trending

Back