Building a metal stand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I just design my stainless/carbon steel tank stand that only hold a 20 gal tank and below is for cannister filter.

Is there anything that I should be fixed or add to make the stand stronger?

My neighbour gonna do all of the steel welding and painting for free! :banana:

Attachments

• 357B5BE1-31A3-4194-8FD8-5EDD9770461D.jpeg
    357B5BE1-31A3-4194-8FD8-5EDD9770461D.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 55
What are the dimensions in (cm)?
How many tanks is it going to hold?
How big is the tank/s going to be?

What are the dimensions in (cm)?
How many tanks is it going to hold?
How big is the tank/s going to be?
The picture is in cm

It holds 1 24 gal tank ,3 cannister filters, air pump and extension plug socket.

Why don't you make it so it holds 2 or 3 tanks, one above the other?

Why 3 canister filters?

I don't recommend having power points/ power packs under aquariums. It is safer to hang the power pack on a wall above the tank so water can't drip into it.

----------------------
Regarding the stand, you want a gap of about 6 inches or more under the bottom shelf so you can clean under it and mop up water if you spill any. You can have a smaller gap if you like but it makes it harder to clean under the stand.

You probably don't need that middle cross member on the top shelf where the tank is. You don't need it on the bottom or middle shelf either if you use a decent piece of wood for the shelf.

----------------------
Are the tank dimensions 70cm x 32cm?
If yes, you want the stand to be about 5-8mm longer so there is a 3-4mm gap on each side.

----------------------
How high are the filters?
You need at least 6 inches of space above the filter for the hoses.

----------------------
If you build the stand taller and put another shelf above it, you can hang the light unit above the tank.

Why 3 canister filters?
For the tank next to this one.
I don't recommend having power points/ power packs under aquariums. It is safer to hang the power pack on a wall above the tank so water can't drip into it.
The wall is on the other side of the room, so.....
Are the tank dimensions 70cm x 32cm?
If yes, you want the stand to be about 5-8mm longer so there is a 3-4mm gap on each side.
The tank is 63 cm (24 inches) there will be space for the tank
How high are the filters?
You need at least 6 inches of space above the filter for the hoses.
37 cm, I forgot about the hoses, thanks for reminding :)

This stand is going to be for my Reef mollies tank! :)

If the tank is 63cm long, the stand only needs to be 64cm long on the inside dimensions (between the legs). That sounds rude :)

Build the stand so it has another shelf above the tank and put the power pack on that and hang the lights under it.

Did dascrow make a new addition to the alert system? I got an alert for this thread that @Barry Tetra had made it and I don't follow him (not to be rude); so how did I get a notification about this thread?

I have moved the posts about Barry's proposed stand out of Random Discussion to create this new thread. I'm not sure how you got an alert about it as I haven't moved any posts you've made.
What worries me is that everyone who had made a post in the 100 odd pages of the Random Discussion thread might get an alert about it :oops:

Did dascrow make a new addition to the alert system? I got an alert for this thread that @Barry Tetra had made it and I don't follow him (not to be rude); so how did I get a notification about this thread?
I concur, must have been a glitch.

@Barry Tetra, that’s cool! Your neighbor is a pretty cool guy, to do all that metal work for free.

I concur, must have been a glitch.

@Barry Tetra, that’s cool! Your neighbor is a pretty cool guy, to do all that metal work for free.
Well, if you follow another thread you will know that he often spraying paint fumes that get into the fish tank!

This is how I would set the stand up.

You could have 2 smaller light units, one above each tank. Or if you have two x 2ft tanks, then put one 4ft light unit above them so you only need 1 power point for the light, and you will get more light from a 4ft unit than two x 2ft units.

Barrys tank stand31jan2021a.jpg

------------------------
And if you were really inclined, you could put all the power filters under one tank and put a third aquarium on the bottom shelf.

Barrys tank stand31jan2021b.jpg

Last edited:
lost everything I owned when the courts screwed up and threw me out of my home

What about this?
The cross was meant for tank safety, I have experienced something with tank breaking in the past.

Don’t quote me on math, I know there’s an error.

Attachments

• 92D5C748-6A0D-4AD4-8269-30F2BFB7F743.jpeg
    92D5C748-6A0D-4AD4-8269-30F2BFB7F743.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 53

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back