Budgies (Sp)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
have just aquired two ( not out of choice) with huge cage and a bag full of stuff.. oh and some sandpaper

theres trays in there little scoop pot things.. whats supposed to go in them.. and what sort of water bottle do they need ( one like a rabbit??) theres not one!
have a bag of stuff that looks like gravel with seed mixed in..cant feed them that theyll choke surley
they are bothe cwtched up at the min in the top part of the cage,seems to be sleeping, they must be cold..what sort of bed do they need???

long story short my 16 yo son saw a man drunk and dragging the cage out of his house as they 'did his head in' hes carried it all for over a mile but we dont have a clue.. they have tweeted since we had them (4 hours?)

oh helppp

shelagh x

ones blue and ones green and fatter

The trays are one for food and one for water. Not a bottle like a rabbit. The seed is the food, they won't choke.

Put a cover over them and water tray in for now and leave them be till the morning. They have probably had a fair amount of stress over this and could be in shock. Keep them in a quiet room till tomorrow.

The sandpaper is for the bottom of the cage.

even with stones in it???? maybe hes dropped it on the floor in the past?? i put a blanket over the back as i felt they maybe cold

just spent 5 mins trying to work out how to make this water trap thing stay on the cage,, is on the floor ok coz it wont fit

found a gap that the tray fits in.. i put the sandpaper in that.. hope that works for whatever its meant to do

thanks mate appreciate it.. birds are not my thing :S

They'll ignore any gravel bits. Floor will be fine for the water, though they may bath in it lol.

The sandpaper is for their claws, to keep them a reasonable length. Pull the cover right over the cage so they'll settle and sleep. If your not cold they won't be.

No problem. Been a fair number of years since I kept birds myself.

awww long time since i seen a member as nice as me :D
oh ok now they gonna suffocate??

does not want to look in there in the morning :(

LOL Shelagh. They will not suffocate. It helps to calm them and they will quickly assosciate the covering up with bed time and begin to settle. It should also help to shut them up if they're noisy. :lol:

The sand paper helps to keep their claws short as mentioned and is alot easier for you clean them out. :good:

The 'stones' will probably be grit which will aid their digestion and tbh should always be offered to them, especially if they have been bought up with it in their diet.

Have fun with them, the sister in law has got a cracking one atm, it talks (not like a parrot though!) walks up and down your arm and will sit there quite contently whilst watching tv etc.

Very characterful little birds imo although i have never owned one myself.

P.S. did you rehome the Oscar?

The sandpaper is actaully for thier toenails, it can be glued around the branch/ perch but in all honesty natural tree branches (from non toxic trees) is best as the different thickness of the natural timber and bark gives their feet exercise while wearing away their toenail. Birds sitting on dowel perches all day everyday is like you standing on concrete all day everyday with no shoes or other padding to eleviate the hard surface.Trust me it's no fun trimming birds toenails, you have to be really careful to no cut into the blood that runs down the centre of their toenail. If you do accidenatlly cut it you can put some corn flour on the cut to help clot the blood. Also parrots which budgie are will enjoy chewing on the natural timber and it will help keep thier beak nice and healthy. Again it's no fun trimming thier beaks either.
They will also benefit from greens such as lettuce, dandilions, milk thistle, a bit of spinach, celery and even corn on the cob. Even dog rawhide chews will be investigated by them and nibbled on. All of these things are to eliviate boredom and the birds doing self harm such as feather plucking...a really hard habit to stop in birds.
The gravel in their food should be sandgrit they need this to help their gizzard grind up the seeds they have eaten as well as for the calcium etc in the shellgrit. Charcoal is also a good thing to have in their food as is a cuttlefish shell tied to the side of their cage.

The water trap thing sounds like a bird bath and not really for them to drink out of, personally I would only give them the bath early in the morning and still give them their normal water dish/bowl. They are almost gaurenteed to foul their bathtub anyway. If you want to give the birds a bath and stimulate them to preen etc you can give them a squirt with a spray bottle of water set on mist, but only do this if the birds are away from a draght and again only in the morning when they have plenty of time to dry off.

To sex the budgies is really easy the male will have a blue cere (nostrils) and the female will have brown. If they are young the colour may not be very clear and the bars on the top of their head will extend almost all the way to their nostrils.
If you have the birds inside be aware that because of the longer lighting (longer than natural daylight and extra warmth) the birds will tend to be in an almost constant mault. So try to keep thier lite times close to natural dyalight hours. Also budgies are incrediably messy feeders and manage to throw food and husk everywhere so a great investment is one of those elastic cloths that go around the base of the cage.

Overall Budgies are great little birds with heaps of character and one of Australia's greatest exports.

Hope this helps you :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back