Bubbles Coming Out Of Dsb

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicalwaters

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive had my tank for over month now, and ive noticed that little bubbles are coming out of the DSB. Does this happen to all of them? the bubbles are all over the LR too.

Are you sure these bubbles are not a result of micro bubbles from a skimmer? Usually bubbles from a DSB sounds an alarm but bubbles from LR???? I am a newbie myself so I may be corrected.

Nim

dont quote me on it as i have little experience with dsb's but the bubbles should be nitrogen gas as the nitrates are broken down in the anaerobic environment.

Bubbles from a dsb are no real issue. Its either nitrogen gas (as noted above) or hydrogen sulphide. The hydrogen sulphide denatures as soon as it hits oxygenated water (so just below the surface of the DSB) and becomes harmless.

I am pretty sure they are not from the skimmer, because i dont have one! :unsure: but yes they are coming from the DSB- i have seen them. As for the bubbles in the LR i dont think they are coming directly from the LR, but just attaching themselves to the LR. I read a bit about the bubbles and I tough i was a sign of the denitrification process going on...but i am not sure, so i figured i would ask. Thanks

either pearling algae (if you have lots of algae on your sand bed, possibly) or as was said before, simply nitrogen gas or other harmless types.

I should add if your DSB is producing bubbles, it's probably working correctly. The whole point of a DSB is to turn nitrates into nitrogen gas, which completes your nitrogen cycle. You still need water changes to eliminate other chemicals in the water, but it really cuts back on the need.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back