Bubble Wall

cheerycherry

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ive read somewhere that putting an airstone on the bottom of the tank can cause pressure on the glass and struts is this true? Ive got an airpump and wanted to get an airstone for added oxygen.
 
I certainly hope this isn't true, I have a bubble pipe at the back of my tank - lol
It's literally a section of airline that has small holes at regular intervals along it's length, and it's held against the side if the tank with suction cups. It's not a DIY either so if it does cause problems I'll have to have words!
I don't think it can be right though to be honest. Almost all undergravel filters work by having an airstone in a tower down in one corner of the glass, just look at all the air 'novelty' ornaments at your LFS and I would think there can't be any truth in this rumour :good:
 
Thats What I thought! I too want to buy a bubble wall that holds with suction caps.Just thought id check really! cool Ill go buy my bubble wall today!
 
Ive read somewhere that putting an airstone on the bottom of the tank can cause pressure on the glass and struts is this true? Ive got an airpump and wanted to get an airstone for added oxygen.

Juwel state you g'tee is invalid if you have a airstone in the tank, quite why i cant fathom. lol having said that, i did have my Rio 180 split on me????
 
:o That is the most bizarre disclaimer I've ever heard... I wonder if that then includes any form of air 'pump' or CO2 system....

Off to do some research :good:
 
That makes no sense what so ever. It a tank is that weak that it cant handle a air stone, then you shouldnt buy it.
 
my guess, its just another way for them to renege on their g'tee. the wording has changed over the years, but it is still there.
 
whats so hard about puting some gravel between it and the glass?? also the bubbles come out and go straight up..i doubt they have enough strength to make it to the glass and put any amount of damaging pressure on it
 
Im pretty sure bubbles wont do much to the glass. Unless its cavitation, bubbles probably will never crack the glass. Ive never had any tanks break on me because of an airstone, and any tank that even has the slightest chance of breaking from this shouldnt even be used.
 
Surely there could only be a problem in a sealed unit e.g. allowing pressure to build up..?

Unless its something about the vibration that is caused by bubbles running through the water, or the vibration on the airline coming up from the air-pump.

But vibration shouldnt be an issue when something is designed to cope with constant water flow etc....

.....aaaaggghhhhh.....confused now....... :S
 
I'd like to think it is a load of tosh, Im pushing 4000ltrs/hour from my airpump lol, fish love it though and I have not had any issues.
 
I'm with you all, i know the split in my tank was not caused by an air stone. but the exclusion is there in black and white.
 
I'm with you all, i know the split in my tank was not caused by an air stone. but the exclusion is there in black and white.

It would be good for someone with one of their tanks (and therefore the disclaimer to hand) or even better a stockist, to e-mail them and quote it word for word, and ask why they find it neccasary to have a disclaimer like this air bubbles for tanks that should easily be able to take all the stress normal aquarium suse would put upon them. Perhaps ask if using a CO2 injection system would also invalidate it, (I'm pretty sure if they started to realise how many potential sales they would lose once people were told clearly you can't use anything 'bubbly' with Juwel tanks they'd soon remove the disclaimer!).
Does it also say for instance that it's invalid if you were to lean your large piece of bogwood against the side glass? (Which I would think would be a lot more stressful than some bubbles!)

I'm pretty much thinking it is less that it causes any actual damage, and more that they are banking on MOST people having something bubbly in their tanks, and therefore giving them a nice get-out clause in there g'tee
 

Most reactions

Back
Top