Bubble Effects In Aquariums

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JT-SCFC-1912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a bigger tank next year, One idea I've had is like a bubble effect, seen them on a job lot of videos on the internet and like the effect of bubbles in the tank, anybody have these in their's, are they expensive to run, and are they hard to clean? Etc.

Do you mean a bubble curtain like an airstone with bubbles coming out of it? If so then no they are not expensive at all. All you need is an air pump which go from around £10+, some air line with is around £1-£2 and then which ever air stone you want to connect it to. So if you wanted a bubble curtain effect at the back of the tank you can get a 6, 12 or 18 inch long air stone (only ever seen these sizes at my LFS) which will cost £2-£6 roughly.

As for cleaning, when I use to use them I just wiped the air stone over once a month with a clean cloth.

Do you mean a bubble curtain like an airstone with bubbles coming out of it? If so then no they are not expensive at all. All you need is an air pump which go from around 10£ some air line with is around 1-2£ and then which ever air stone you want to connect it to. So if you wanted a bubble curtain effect at the back of the tank you can get a 6, 12 or 18 inch long air stone (only ever seen these sizes at my LFS) which will cost 2-6£ roughly.

As for cleaning, when I use to use them I just wiped the air stone over once a month with a clean cloth.

Do you mean a bubble curtain like an airstone with bubbles coming out of it? If so then no they are not expensive at all. All you need is an air pump which go from around £10+, some air line with is around £1-£2 and then which ever air stone you want to connect it to. So if you wanted a bubble curtain effect at the back of the tank you can get a 6, 12 or 18 inch long air stone (only ever seen these sizes at my LFS) which will cost £2-£6 roughly.

Yeah something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4biPFclTpM

But obviously on a bigger scale (juwel 450 vision) to house oscar fish. Just was wondering if they are high maintenance, don't really want to be stressing OF's everytime :/

i have a long air stone in my tank, the fish love it and attack the bubbles, its so funny to watch :) it helps to with oxygen aswell but if your filter is moving the top of the water you can turn it off as and when, i usually have mine off when im at work and just have it on in the evening.

i have a long air stone in my tank, the fish love it and attack the bubbles, its so funny to watch :) it helps to with oxygen aswell but if your filter is moving the top of the water you can turn it off as and when, i usually have mine off when im at work and just have it on in the evening.

Where'd you get that?

I have a Rio 400 which holds the same amount of water as the Vision 450 which used to be home to a tiger Oscar. I did want 2 oscars in it but a 5 foot 450 litre really isn't big enough to house 2 oscars. I know have a single thai silk flowerhorn in my rio 400. Iv tried a few different fish with the FH which include a jack Dempsey, Oscar, red devil and a buttikoferi (all bigger than the flowerhorn) but the flowerhorn just killed them all :(

Anyway, all I did in my rio was as I stated above... I just bought 2 x 18 inch long air stones, a couple of plastic clamps to even out the air flow to both stones and some plastic tubing. All from my LFS (local fish store) then I ordered an air pump online. Just make sure the air pump you purchase is rated for the tank size you have. The 1 I bought is the tetra aps 400 (pumps through 400 litres of air per hour) that was more than enough for my tank.

I have a Rio 400 which holds the same amount of water as the Vision 450 which used to be home to a tiger Oscar. I did want 2 oscars in it but a 5 foot 450 litre really isn't big enough to house 2 oscars. I know have a single thai silk flowerhorn in my rio 400. Iv tried a few different fish with the FH which include a jack Dempsey, Oscar, red devil and a buttikoferi (all bigger than the flowerhorn) but the flowerhorn just killed them all :(

Anyway, all I did in my rio was as I stated above... I just bought 2 x 18 inch long air stones, a couple of plastic clamps to even out the air flow to both stones and some plastic tubing. All from my LFS (local fish store) then I ordered an air pump online. Just make sure the air pump you purchase is rated for the tank size you have. The 1 I bought is the tetra aps 400 (pumps through 400 litres of air per hour) that was more than enough for my tank.

Tidy butt, thanks for the advice. Ideally like 2 Oscars in there, but might have 1, with a tank mate :/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back