The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Country joe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just saw this on the Internet
Using a bleach dip on your plants before planting,
Unscented bleach, one part bleach to 20 parts water, submerge plants in the bleach solution 90 seconds for sensitive plants, tougher plants 120 seconds once done soaking rinse plants under sink for a good minute now place in a container with a dose of added dechlorinator for 5 to 10 minutes. What do you think ?

Just saw this on the Internet
Using a bleach dip on your plants before planting,
Unscented bleach, one part bleach to 20 parts water, submerge plants in the bleach solution 90 seconds for sensitive plants, tougher plants 120 seconds once done soaking rinse plants under sink for a good minute now place in a container with a dose of added dechlorinator for 5 to 10 minutes. What do you think ?
Sorry, it would be easier to plant out my plants before adding my bog wood and rocks, although it appears you should put in your decorations first, I think this would be more awkward for me, would it be okay to plant out then add wood and rocks ?

I don't like the idea of bleaching. I take my chances. The old guys used to use potassium permanganate dips because they said bleach was too harsh.

You can plant and decorate anyway you wish. One way may be more difficult than another, but there are no rules.

Sometimes, if my plants are from a suspect source, or if they are obviously covered with algae, I'll use a diluted hydrogen peroxide dip. But I think it is very unlikely that plants are going to carry fish pathogens into my tanks, and I tend to enjoy the snails and other assorted mystery inverts that hitch hike in. So generally I don't worry about it.

One alternative is to buy in vitro plants. These are tissue culture, grown in a sterile environment so no pest snails, no fish diseases, no chemical contamination.
In the UK and Europe, apart from in vitro we have the choice of EU grown plants which could have pest snails or their eggs on them, or plants grown in the far east which have to be treated with snail killing chemicals before they are allowed into the EU, and most likely they send the same treated plants to the UK as well.

I didn't quarantine or treat the last plants I bought from a LFS...

I ended with a Dragonfly Nymph that nearly killed my betta.

Depends on whether you want snails of unknown varieties or other invertebrates.

At the very least you should thoroughly rinse your plants before placing them in the tank. Just to make sure no water from the seller ends up in your aquarium.

For my main display tank where I maintain a mix of nerites and ramshorn snails I do a bleach dip.

For my shrimp tank where I experiment, I do not do a bleach dip. This tank has ended up with hydra, seed shrimp, and bubble snails. None have been a problem and I enjoy watching them.

I started with the 2 minute dip but some plants don't like it much so the most I will use now is 90 seconds for the tougher ones and 60 for more sensitive.

The most important, is to keep moving and shaking them in the solution, for the shortest period possible time of chosen treament.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back