Brown stuff in tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Katum

Reaction score
Ive had my tank for a little over a month... its 5 gal. and i have 3 small fish in it and now all of a sudden there is this brown stuff that looks like it has settled on some of the plastic plants in there and also on the inside of the hood. what is it? and what can i do about it, and is it harmful to my fish?

That brown stuff is a type of algae. It is gross but can be cleaned off of the tank easily. I got it in my tank and it went away after about a month. It isn't harmful to the fish.

I agree with Guppy....you can easily rinse it off decorations and fake plants. If it's on the inside of your glass you can get those two magnets that they sell in pet stores...one goes inside and one outside that you run along the tank and it cleans the glass.....

Its not actually algae, they are called diatoms. That's not really important, but its true. I had a lot of it about a month ago after my tank cycled. I read on here that I should turn up my lights and sure enough it went away. I think that with more light other forms of algae out compete it for resources. Real plants help too, but then you need even more light (well for many types of plants anyways).
Good Luck!
Pat

It can also be mould or some type of fungus. However it could also be algee as the others have said above.
If it is mould, it can be cause by water being splashed on the hood.

Post a picture if you can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back