Brown Jelly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got back from Interfish with a new Hammer Coral. I apparently didn't notice in the shop, but now I'm home it's clear it have brown jelly in about three places in the skeleton. Freshwater dips I've read are the solution to this issue in most cases, but should I FW dip it on it's way into the tank, or FW dip it once acclimated?

Thanks
Rabbut

I would wait for someone else to clarify but I would think you should do it on the way into the tank. I would not want to put brown jelly into the tank without having done something as I am sure it could spread to other Euphyllias or bubbles.

I would not put into tank until someone else has replied.

Thanks for the quick response. :good: I was likely going to to a dip on the way in, I was just posting for re-assurance really :nod: :sad:

i think iodine dip or coral revive is what people usually try. I lost a torch to it though. My tactic after trying the revive dip was cut the effected heads off. I was too slow though. Dont risk it with your others.

i think iodine dip or coral revive is what people usually try. I lost a torch to it though. My tactic after trying the revive dip was cut the effected heads off. I was too slow though.

Hum, I'll look at what work has by the way of coral dipping stuffs tomorrow them

Dont risk it with your others.

Woops :angry: :crazy: too late, it's made it as far as the main tank. All the visible BJ was off it from the dip prior to going in mind, so I guess now I'll just have to cross my fingers :unsure:

Thanks ben
Rabbut

IME, the dips never work on brown jelly, fragging is usually the only method that works well.

Thanks for that ski. The dips have removed the visibly affected sections of the coral, so now I suppose it's just wait and see if it comes back...

All the best
Rabbut

the torch i had, it usually came back in 24-48 hours. I ended up taking the pliars to it. Can you take it back if you bought it infected?

its an infection quite common in some LPS corals, it will kill them and can spread to others.

image006.jpg

I shouldn't really count my chickens before they have all hatched, but it still looked clean this morning :unsure: :good: I'm still on high alert for it ATM. I will probibly ring the shop tomorrow, I'm stuck at work all today through their opening hours, and I deffientely won't be able to get back there untill sunday at the earliest. :sad: I'm non too happy with them ATM, dodgy info on the Pick Scooter Blenny last time and now this :angry:

All the best
Rabbut

Another up-date. The hammer still looks clean, but I've just lost two heads of my Torch to it, with a third not looking happy. The torch has been stropping for a while now, so it's not clear if it's had some underlying infection already, and the BJ set-in after that, or if the BJ has grabbed otherwise healthy polyps off the Torch, but needless to say, I am not happy ATM, and praying that if the BJ has set-in on any of the Torch and/or Hammer's other polyps, that is does not take out anything else :sad: Interfish will hear about this tomorrow since I have a day off and can actually call them during opening hours :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Unfortunately, yes, it took out all but two Torch coral heads, and one of the remaining ones doesn't look too happy :sad: The hammer looks OK for now though (fingers crossed)

Thanks for showing a continued interest
Rabbut

Ouch, sorry Rabbut, that's not fun. "Brown Jelly" is technically an auto-immune response. It is not necessarily the result of infection/parasite, although often times that's the case. In addition to what you've already tried with dips and fragging may i suggest running LOTS of Carbon, and if you do normally, change it now. Carbon helps remove some of the hormones and biochemical markers that likely fuel the immune response. Lots of carbon can help prevent the spread of the phenomena

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back