Brown Algae....

I thought the filter would of been fine if it for a 40 gallon tank.
 
I thought the filter would of been fine if it for a 40 gallon tank.
if it were a filter rated for a 40 gallon it will give approx 4-5 x turnover so 160-200 gallons per hour. half that because of media etc and yourat 80-100 so 2-2.5 times turn over...algae takes hold increase to ten x circulation with the power head and the filter so a K1 puts out 400GPH and the filter will be putting out about 80, so that brings you to 12 x turn over an hour thus combating algae issues and it will be fine with fish
 
Ok I would get a another filter then as truck has suggested.
I don't have algae problems now with two filters running.
 
I thought the filter would of been fine if it for a 40 gallon tank.
if it were a filter rated for a 40 gallon it will give approx 4-5 x turnover so 160-200 gallons per hour. half that because of media etc and yourat 80-100 so 2-2.5 times turn over...algae takes hold increase to ten x circulation with the power head and the filter so a K1 puts out 400GPH and the filter will be putting out about 80, so that brings you to 12 x turn over an hour thus combating algae issues and it will be fine with fish

So then you would suggest buying that powerhead and just adding it into the tank with the filter I already have then? SOunds like a plan to me...thanks for the help everyone :)
 
I thought the filter would of been fine if it for a 40 gallon tank.
if it were a filter rated for a 40 gallon it will give approx 4-5 x turnover so 160-200 gallons per hour. half that because of media etc and yourat 80-100 so 2-2.5 times turn over...algae takes hold increase to ten x circulation with the power head and the filter so a K1 puts out 400GPH and the filter will be putting out about 80, so that brings you to 12 x turn over an hour thus combating algae issues and it will be fine with fish

So then you would suggest buying that powerhead and just adding it into the tank with the filter I already have then? SOunds like a plan to me...thanks for the help everyone :)
yep £25 from here

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52

cheapest price on the net ;)
 
30 gallon. Fluval 4 and a power head filter.
 
I thought the filter would of been fine if it for a 40 gallon tank.
if it were a filter rated for a 40 gallon it will give approx 4-5 x turnover so 160-200 gallons per hour. half that because of media etc and yourat 80-100 so 2-2.5 times turn over...algae takes hold increase to ten x circulation with the power head and the filter so a K1 puts out 400GPH and the filter will be putting out about 80, so that brings you to 12 x turn over an hour thus combating algae issues and it will be fine with fish

So then you would suggest buying that powerhead and just adding it into the tank with the filter I already have then? SOunds like a plan to me...thanks for the help everyone :)
yep £25 from here

[URL="http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52"]http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52[/URL]

cheapest price on the net ;)

So then you don't think the current/water flow would be too hard for the fish I have in the tank then? Is this the best option or maybe get another filter since I will need to just in case I need to get the Q-tank up and running? If I went the having 2 filters way, what filter would I need to add to get the 10x I'm looking for?
 
Another way of slowing down algae would be to put some marimo balls in (moss balls) they look good and soak up the nutrients that algae requires to grow.

If you cant find any at your lfs, there is always people selling them on ebay.

Andy
 
Another way of slowing down algae would be to put some marimo balls in (moss balls) they look good and soak up the nutrients that algae requires to grow.

If you cant find any at your lfs, there is always people selling them on ebay.

Andy
Wouldn't these moss balls also absorb up nutrients that plants need to grow?

So if he has plants in his tank (I dont know if he does or not), wouldn't these moss balls take away all of the trace minerals/nutrients that plants utilize to grow?

-FHM
 
That could be possible but mine seem fine in my tank which is a mixture of plants and 5 marimo balls ranging from golf ball to tennis ball size.

Andy
 
That could be possible but mine seem fine in my tank which is a mixture of plants and 5 marimo balls ranging from golf ball to tennis ball size.

Andy
moss balls are algae, and algae isnt cause by nutrients it is fed by them, boost the flow and it will go.
moss balls are VERY slow growing anyway so their nutrient uptake is minimal
 

Most reactions

Back
Top