Brown Algae....

MattM1124

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
188
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pittsburgh PA
I've been getting brown algae on the sides of my tank and on the ornaments the past couple of weeks and was wondering if there is way to prevent it.

I clean my tank every week and vacuum the gravel. I don't have any windows in my room so that can't be the problem. I was leaving my hood light on for about 8 hrs a day in 4 hr increments but now I have it down to about 2-3 hrs a day and the brown algae still starts to develop within a week. Anyway to prevent it or slow it down? My water stats are also fine.

I plan on getting some otto's to help take care of the algae but wanted to wait until my q-tank was set up before putting them into the main tank.

thanks again!
 
I agree with truck.
Just keep rubbing it off.
 
its normall in a new tank and after 3 months of setting up it should go

This tank has been set up for longer than 3 months though...prob more like 6 or 7 months. I also have a q-tank that I'm fishless cycling right now.

I agree with truck.
Just keep rubbing it off.

So eventually the stuff will justs top growing?
 
is the tank near direct sunlight.
How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
What filter are you using.

I run two filters in my tank and never have algae problems.
 
its normall in a new tank and after 3 months of setting up it should go

This tank has been set up for longer than 3 months though...prob more like 6 or 7 months. I also have a q-tank that I'm fishless cycling right now.

I agree with truck.
Just keep rubbing it off.

So eventually the stuff will justs top growing?
well you must have poor flow/ammonia readings

My ammonia is at 0....I have a 19 gallon tank with a tetra 40 whisper and a bubble wand...Should I be using something else for better water flow?
 
If all your water parameters are good, than another thing that this algae utilizes to grow is silicates. This is from your silicone (seals), and it could take a while for it to go down.

Otocinclus will also eat this kind of algae.

-FHM
 
is the tank near direct sunlight.
How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
What filter are you using.

I run two filters in my tank and never have algae problems.

No windows in room so no sunlight
19 gallons
12 fish (danios, glow light tetras, and swordtail
tetra 40

If all your water parameters are good, than another thing that this algae utilizes to grow is silicates. This is from your silicone (seals), and it could take a while for it to go down.

Otocinclus will also eat this kind of algae.

-FHM

So if it's from the silicates, then nothing I can do about it then right? It's not growing on the silicone though, just the tank walls, does that matter? Or just the silicone being in the tank helps it along?
 
From my understanding, it is just the silicates, silicone being in the tank. This is very common with Brand new tanks that are bought form a store. The silicone is fresh, and it may go away in a couple of weeks, or in your case it is longer than that.

Water changes, or maybe even adding activated carbon to your tank will take the silicates out of your water.

But it really is an "X" amount of time until the silicates exist in a amount that cannot be utilize to grow this type of algae.

-FHM
 
is the tank near direct sunlight.
How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
What filter are you using.

I run two filters in my tank and never have algae problems.

No windows in room so no sunlight
19 gallons
12 fish (danios, glow light tetras, and swordtail
tetra 40

If all your water parameters are good, than another thing that this algae utilizes to grow is silicates. This is from your silicone (seals), and it could take a while for it to go down.

Otocinclus will also eat this kind of algae.

-FHM



so a higher turn over will reduce the risk
So if it's from the silicates, then nothing I can do about it then right? It's not growing on the silicone though, just the tank walls, does that matter? Or just the silicone being in the tank helps it along?

yeah the silicates can cause it. but be aware your ammonia isnt always 0 its more because it takes time for the ammonia to be processed but our test kits cant pick up those amounts.
 
From my understanding, it is just the silicates, silicone being in the tank. This is very common with Brand new tanks that are bought form a store. The silicone is fresh, and it may go away in a couple of weeks, or in your case it is longer than that.

Water changes, or maybe even adding activated carbon to your tank will take the silicates out of your water.

But it really is an "X" amount of time until the silicates exist in a amount that cannot be utilize to grow this type of algae.

-FHM

I understand! Really though this isn't a new tank...we used it when I was younger and then we kinda had it in storage for a while and then I set it back up and have been using it. So the silicone shoudn't be 'new' Does that make a difference at all? Could heat cause this algae? I have a heater in the room (baseboard heater) that is usually on.
 
is the tank near direct sunlight.
How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
What filter are you using.

I run two filters in my tank and never have algae problems.

No windows in room so no sunlight
19 gallons
12 fish (danios, glow light tetras, and swordtail
tetra 40

If all your water parameters are good, than another thing that this algae utilizes to grow is silicates. This is from your silicone (seals), and it could take a while for it to go down.

Otocinclus will also eat this kind of algae.

-FHM

yeah the silicates can cause it. but be aware your ammonia isnt always 0 its more because it takes time for the ammonia to be processed but our test kits cant pick up those amounts.

so a higher turn over will reduce the risk
So if it's from the silicates, then nothing I can do about it then right? It's not growing on the silicone though, just the tank walls, does that matter? Or just the silicone being in the tank helps it along?

To build off of what truck said.

There is always a trace amount of ammonia in your tank, but if you do not have enough flow in your tank, some ammonia is going to be just at a "stand-still" in your tank, ammonia that is not getting into the filter right away.

And that could be where your algae is coming from.

If your flow rate is greater, there will be no/not as much ammonia at a "stand-still" in your tank long enough for the algae to utilize to grow.

-FHM
 
To build off of what truck said.

There is always a trace amount of ammonia in your tank, but if you do not have enough flow in your tank, some ammonia is going to be just at a "stand-still" in your tank, ammonia that is not getting into the filter right away.

And that could be where your algae is coming from.

If your flow rate is greater, there will be no/not as much ammonia at a "stand-still" in your tank long enough for the algae to utilize to grow.

-FHM
[/quote]

Makes sense, thanks! So would you think I have enough flow though? I mean I have a filter for up to 40 gallons when I only have a 19 gallon tank and I also have the bubble wand. Would you get a more powerful filter or what I have should be fine right?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top