Brown Algae Type Stuff, Any Idea How To Keep It At Bay?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
2,000
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgium
i seem to be having terrible trouble with a brown algae type stuff growing on the glass in the oscar tank. as fast as i clean it, its back within a day or two, very fast growing. grows in spotty patches and spreads like wildfire.
any idea what it is and how to treat it?

100_1391.jpg

100_1389.jpg
 
How old is the tank? Brown algae is very common in newer tanks and usually clears itself up within a few weeks/months.
 
its been up and running for a few months here, before it was moved it was up and running for a year or so, filter media was kept wet during the move
 
Wow, looks almost more like a mould or fungus...
Whatever, hope it clears, sounds like a pain...
Bye the bye, love the freaky little glowing eyes in the second shot - hope you have a fish in there, lol...
 
is it a new tank? I read that the brown algae feeds off of the silicone, and once its gone the algae dies off. I've had my tank up and running for about 4 or 5 months now and its starting to die away now, before I was cleaning the glass every 2 days or so, now I just do it once a week when I do my waterchange
 
Wow, looks almost more like a mould or fungus...
Whatever, hope it clears, sounds like a pain...
Bye the bye, love the freaky little glowing eyes in the second shot - hope you have a fish in there, lol...


lol, thats Claude, the australian red clawed crayfish. looks pretty evil like that dont he?? never realised he was there until you said!
 
Wow, looks almost more like a mould or fungus...
Whatever, hope it clears, sounds like a pain...
Bye the bye, love the freaky little glowing eyes in the second shot - hope you have a fish in there, lol...


lol, thats Claude, the australian red clawed crayfish. looks pretty evil like that dont he?? never realised he was there until you said!


I saw a movie like that once, where eyes like that showed in a photograph, and they had to run back to get the girl out of the house...
Just wondering if you needed an exorcist or anything...

Are you quite sure you know the reason his little claws are ... red?
 
It's brown algae (technically diatoms), and although it usually goes away within a few months...it doesn't always. -_- It partially depends on how many phosphates and silicates are in your tap water. I waited months, tried upgrading my lighting system, bought otos, etc...couldn't get rid of the stuff. A year and half after setting up my tank I still get a little bit, but managed to reduce the amount significantly after I started using half distilled/half tap during water changes.

Aquarium_by_AphoticPhoenix.jpg

If you look on the back glass of my tank you can see some patches of it. That's prob. a few weeks worth of growth since I only bother cleaning the back glass during my big monthly maint....and a light haze of the stuff grows on the front glass towards the bottom, but that gets cleaned weekly.
 
i seem to be having terrible trouble with a brown algae type stuff growing on the glass in the oscar tank. as fast as i clean it, its back within a day or two, very fast growing. grows in spotty patches and spreads like wildfire.
any idea what it is and how to treat it?

100_1391.jpg

100_1389.jpg
I set up a rio 180 planted it out introduced some Cherry Barbs after 2 weeks now i have the same problem

I set up a rio 180 a few weeks ago planted it out introduced a few Cherry Barbs now I have the same problem, with brown Algea
 

Most reactions

Back
Top