Bronze cories spawned!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ten wrigglers out and about now, still some with only their tails out of the egg, but those are still alive, so hoping they find the strength to escape the egg fully before they need to eat... :unsure:

Update: 24 hours since the first one hatched, and have ten wrigglers. There are another eight that have their tails out, but head is still in the egg... I'm worried for those, and really wish I could help them somehow, but there's nothing I can do but hope they escape the egg soon. Besides, even if I could somehow remove the egg for them, with a microscope and teeeeny tiny tongs or something - I assume there's a reason they're too weak to escape the egg.

So my hopes have dropped a lot for this spawn. Last time I had 18 wrigglers, and only eight made it past the first weeks. But I'll do my best of course, and hope that at least some of these survive.

All you can do is let Nature take it's course...you've given them the best chance for survival
Thank you! I've tried to give them the best shot I can, but it always feels like you should have done something differently, you know?

So many of the eggs still look good to me, so far as I can tell. But perhaps I can't tell because of the MB. Or maybe the MB hardened the egg cases (read that somewhere??), and that's why some are struggling to hatch... on the other hand, I didn't lose many eggs to fungus this time, so perhaps I would have had a better survival rate if I'd used MB last time.. or maybe I shouldn't have moved the egg container to the other tank with the slightly lower temp..

Questioning everything, when I can never know the answers to most of the questions. And some spawns give a lot of young, some none at all, so I was lucky to get seven adults out of the last one, given it was my first time with an egg layer spawn.

But nature sucks sometimes, lol. I wanna help the babies out of the eggs!

Have nine wrigglers now, still some more with their tails popped out and wriggling around, trying to finish escaping the egg. Still a lot more eggs... whether they're going to hatch, will have to wait and see.

Managed to snap a few not brilliant shots.

Lots of eggs;
View attachment 132080

Airpump sent a lot of the eggs over here, can see a couple of wrigglers top right!
View attachment 132081

Two wrigglers, and one with his tail out of the egg, but hasn't fully left the egg yet;
View attachment 132082

More wrigglers;
View attachment 132083

Same wrigglers, lol
View attachment 132084

It is making me a bit nervous that not many have hatched out yet. Last time I had 18 wrigglers, and it's normal to lose a lot of them. So not having many to begin with scares me. But thinking back to last time, I did still have wrigglers hatching on the second day after the first ones hatched, so fingers crossed! Please please please!
It’ll be fine. My last spawn gave me about 50 and only 1 made it. It made that one, Solo, very special to me. :)

Thank you! I've tried to give them the best shot I can, but it always feels like you should have done something differently, you know?

So many of the eggs still look good to me, so far as I can tell. But perhaps I can't tell because of the MB. Or maybe the MB hardened the egg cases (read that somewhere??), and that's why some are struggling to hatch... on the other hand, I didn't lose many eggs to fungus this time, so perhaps I would have had a better survival rate if I'd used MB last time.. or maybe I shouldn't have moved the egg container to the other tank with the slightly lower temp..

Questioning everything, when I can never know the answers to most of the questions. And some spawns give a lot of young, some none at all, so I was lucky to get seven adults out of the last one, given it was my first time with an egg layer spawn.

But nature sucks sometimes, lol. I wanna help the babies out of the eggs!
Actually, NCaquatics told me that if they didn’t come out of egg after a bit, to try helping them out. I haven’t tried it though.

Actually, NCaquatics told me that if they didn’t come out of egg after a bit, to try helping them out. I haven’t tried it though.
That convinced me to try it - did help free a couple from their eggs! I now have 14 wrigglers, three "half-hatched" sititng in a cup inside that container so I can monitor them and see whether to risk trying to help them too.

That convinced me to try it - did help free a couple from their eggs! I now have 14 wrigglers, three "half-hatched" sititng in a cup inside that container so I can monitor them and see whether to risk trying to help them too.
Oh, good! I had a couple that worked so hard and long that died later after getting out. Glad you intervened. Tell me later how you did it and how they are doing. You are doing great!

Oh, good! I had a couple that worked so hard and long that died later after getting out. Glad you intervened. Tell me later how you did it and how they are doing. You are doing great!
One was easy, his egg was attached to another one, so I grabbed the other one with tweezers and shook it gently, he started wriggling while I held the other egg steady, and he popped out :D

Another I picked up using a turkey baster, then let him out into the palm of my (freshly scrubbed, like I was scrubbing in for surgery) hand. Then I let the water dribble away until he was just in a few drops, and I think when he wriggled against the friction my skin provided that the smooth plastic they were in didn't, he also came free. Dipped my palm into the container and he swam away.

I've put the remaining three in a cup to monitor and make sure it's the same three, if they seem to get weaker, or haven't popped out of the egg after some time, I'll try something more drastic. I don't want to try to pinch the egg away... would be so so easy to damage the fry that way, but if they're going to die either way, might be worth the risk.

One was easy, his egg was attached to another one, so I grabbed the other one with tweezers and shook it gently, he started wriggling while I held the other egg steady, and he popped out :D

Another I picked up using a turkey baster, then let him out into the palm of my (freshly scrubbed, like I was scrubbing in for surgery) hand. Then I let the water dribble away until he was just in a few drops, and I think when he wriggled against the friction my skin provided that the smooth plastic they were in didn't, he also came free. Dipped my palm into the container and he swam away.

I've put the remaining three in a cup to monitor and make sure it's the same three, if they seem to get weaker, or haven't popped out of the egg after some time, I'll try something more drastic. I don't want to try to pinch the egg away... would be so so easy to damage the fry that way, but if they're going to die either way, might be worth the risk.
I totally agree!

WOW, good job, now we can add "midwife" to your resume.....:thumbs:

These last three should be out by now, shouldn't they? At least 24 hours since the first one hatched. I'm worried about them dying half in the egg, and don't remember them taking so long to finish hatching last time...

These last three should be out by now, shouldn't they? At least 24 hours since the first one hatched. I'm worried about them dying half in the egg, and don't remember them taking so long to finish hatching last time...
If they have been fighting more than an hour, I would intervene. If just still no action, I’d let them be until tomorrow.

If they have been fighting more than an hour, I would intervene. If just still no action, I’d let them be until tomorrow.
I steeled myself to do it, scrubbed my hands like a surgeon again, and when I checked the cup, one was out! *happy dance*

So I'm not going to try and manually remove the egg casings, will leave the last two and let nature take its course. If one can still get out at this time, the other two should *touch wood* be able to. If they don't, I doubt they'd have made it with my help anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back