Bronze cories spawned!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Congrats!
Thank you! I was so nervous. Still am, they're so tiny, it's scary to be responsible for these tiny little things. They look more like insects than fish at this size.

But I'm hoping this is just the first of many!

Five hatched and wriggling around! A bunch more with tails poking out.

One poor little one that I think has passed away :-( Like he just hatched, and immediately died.

Congrats! How many more eggs left!
I have no idea! I didn't count the eggs this time, I used a card to remove the eggs when I collected them (works well!) and I didn't want to take the time to slowly count them, because some platy were picking at the eggs, so had to hurry. I've found it really hard to tell which eggs are viable since using the MB, but I think a lot of them are. So we're not going to know a final tally until the Kritter Keeper arrives and I move the wrigglers over to that :D Any that don't hatch tonight, I'll give a bit more time, in case they're just slower developers or were laid a bit later or something.

Five hatched and wriggling around! A bunch more with tails poking out.

One poor little one that I think has passed away :-( Like he just hatched, and immediately died.
Some do that. It’s better, really. I have one little fry trying so hard to keep up. He looks like he should be 2 weeks old instead of 5. He probably would have been better off going but he keeps trying. I expect to find him dead every day.

I have no idea! I didn't count the eggs this time, I used a card to remove the eggs when I collected them (works well!) and I didn't want to take the time to slowly count them, because some platy were picking at the eggs, so had to hurry. I've found it really hard to tell which eggs are viable since using the MB, but I think a lot of them are. So we're not going to know a final tally until the Kritter Keeper arrives and I move the wrigglers over to that :D Any that don't hatch tonight, I'll give a bit more time, in case they're just slower developers or were laid a bit later or something.
I give them an extra day too just to be sure.

Some do that. It’s better, really. I have one little fry trying so hard to keep up. He looks like he should be 2 weeks old instead of 5. He probably would have been better off going but he keeps trying. I expect to find him dead every day.
They'll break your heart, won't they?

My last batch, I got complacent with the eight I had once they'd reached three months. They looked healthy, were swimming about with the adults, and I'd had so many losses when they were small, but hasn't lost any for a long time. Then one day, found the smallest one dead and stuck to the sponge filter :-( He was the runt of the litter, being the smallest, but he looked healthy otherwise, and wasn't thin or anything. Casscats said it happens that way sometimes, we never know if they're developing properly internally or not. And mine was smaller than the others for some reason, I'll just never know what that reason was.

I hope your little one makes it and gets stronger! But yes, probably best to brace yourself for a loss, I'm sorry. I'm trying to brace myself to lose wrigglers, I know it's inevitable that not all will make it. They lay a huge number of eggs because a lot of them won't make it - but it's still heartbreaking when they don't make it.

They'll break your heart, won't they?

My last batch, I got complacent with the eight I had once they'd reached three months. They looked healthy, were swimming about with the adults, and I'd had so many losses when they were small, but hasn't lost any for a long time. Then one day, found the smallest one dead and stuck to the sponge filter :-( He was the runt of the litter, being the smallest, but he looked healthy otherwise, and wasn't thin or anything. Casscats said it happens that way sometimes, we never know if they're developing properly internally or not. And mine was smaller than the others for some reason, I'll just never know what that reason was.

I hope your little one makes it and gets stronger! But yes, probably best to brace yourself for a loss, I'm sorry. I'm trying to brace myself to lose wrigglers, I know it's inevitable that not all will make it. They lay a huge number of eggs because a lot of them won't make it - but it's still heartbreaking when they don't make it.
Yeah, I’ve thought about putting him in a breeder net to be sure he gets enough food. Then I thought, let Mother Nature are her course and don’t intervene. Who knows what’s right. Let’s focus on the births today!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back