Brine shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I've got a bucket full of about a gallon of water and 2 airstones. I have no way of removing the brine shrimp without getting some eggs as well. I don't have a brine shrimp net, by the way.

How can I get the shrimp out without taking any eggs out?

if you place a light in one area of the bucket, the shrimp should swim to that where you can syphon them off.

ste :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a desk lamp or anything of that sort...

I'm just going to place the water in my hatchery and try and remove as many as I can. I'll probably just end up buying frozen baby brine shrimp, but I'd like to use up the batch I have right now.

Would liquid fry food work if I wanted to keep the shrimp alive longer?

And now for the answer.

First remove the air supply. Allow the egg shells to float to the top, this should take about 10 mins. Next syphon the BBS from the bottom of the bucket, through a peice of cloth. Rinse the bbs (still in the cloth) in fresh water. feed to your fish.

Liquid fry will keep your BBS alive for a while, but you will need to seperate them from the egg shells, before you feed them. only feed very little ammounts at a time.

How do I deshell them? I read an article where it says I should bleach the eggs beforehand, but that's no longer possible.

“The shells can be removed prior to placing them in the brine solution by soaking ¾ ounce (21 g) of shrimp cysts in 2 cups (500 ml) of water for an hour. Then add 1½ cups (350 ml) of liquid bleach. It is recommended that the resulting solution be chilled in an ice bath as it will get rather hot and kill the cysts. It is also recommended that the solution be stirred continuously to keep the cysts suspended until they turn from brown to orange. This could take as long as 10 minutes. The cysts are drained into a brine shrimp net and rinsed numerous times with tap water. These cysts are now ready for hatching without the concern of separating the resulting nauplii from the shells."

Haven't found any information on after hatching, though.

Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure what to use to strain the shrimp, and I got the answer. What cloth, by the way, is best?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back