Brichardi

Xxzsdrklakdfj

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Could a pair of brichardi be kept in a 20long if they were they only fish in there? Also about what sizes do these guys start breeding?

"letters"

you'll proly want to post the whole name,there are a few brichardi out there and i have 3
telmatochromis brichardi
chalinochromis brichardi
neolamprologus brichardi
this may help you get a response.

my 2 cents-any of the above imo will be fine in a 20g,you may want to get a second opinion on the neolamps though.
can't help w/the breeding thing,sorry :/

IME a 20 gallon is to small for any of the N. brichardi complex!!

These fish need more surface area than height. A breeder type tank (36x18x18) is an ideal tank for these fish.

The N. brichardi complex fish are very aggressive and need the added room a breeder style tank can give them!!

As far as size goes for breeding....I would say around 3" or so.

CM

hehe told ya,always good to get a second opinion esp from a B) cichlidmaster

N. brichardi can breed at 2" not including the tail. Basicly, you just have to make 'em happy. Keep the water Tanganykan-friendly, give 'em a whole lot of rock, and keep 'em alone. As far as tank size goes, cichlidmaster is exactly right about the breeder tank. That's what I use. I do have my own opinion on smaller tanks though. Even in medium sized tanks, anything up to 4 foot long, a breeding pair will claim the whole tank as their territory. Mine started breeding a lot sooner than I expected, and they killed every last fish in the tank. I believe they (a pair, not a group) could breed successfully in a 20H or a 20L, provided they were the only fish in the tank, had a good amount of rock stacked, and a substrate 3-4" deep. If you have the option, however, a 40br is certainly ideal.

40br1.jpg

Harmonic,

I do agrre that N. brichardi could breed in a 20 long, but it's not recommended due to their aggressive nature. A 20 high would be totally out of the question IMO!!

I started with a group of 8 at a size of 1". They were housed in a 40 breeder from the start. As they matured, I started to lose one here and one there due to aggression.

I finally ended up with two pair in the tank that spawned every 2-3 weeks.

harmonic,

Just curious about why you recommend 3-4" of gravel??

CM

Ya know, I'd bet they'd sooner breed in a 20H than a 20L. I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to later this year. I just think that as far as smaller tanks go, the 20H is more conducive to the N. brichardi's habit of hovering to oversee territory. I know this idea is against the norm, but my observations point away from the standard "longer is better" rule with this particular fish. I did define the idea to a breeding pair, though. I've never seen any agression between a pair who breed regularly. I don't endorse it with groups or even pairs who haven't breed yet.

And the gravel? I recommend the gravel because I went through last summer and added about 80% more gravel to 4 of my african tanks. I observed a general increase in successfull breeding from all 4 tanks. My feeling is that they feel more secure in the deeper holes, even the mouth brooders.

The breeding progression in my 40 has been EXACTLY like yours, though I only have one surviving pair. Mean little buggers aint they?

One of the meanest fish for it's size I have ever kept and bred!!!!!!

I realize you stated "a pair", but IMO even a pair in a 20H is not wise.

Now as for the gravel depth............

I will not in any way refute your findings that your fish spawn better with a deeper gravel depth.....I will only say I find this (in my experiences anyway) really makes no difference!!

I keep my gravel depths limited to 1-1.5" maximum for the following reasons:

1. Beneficial bacteria only inhabit the first inch or so of the gravel bed

2. Anything deeper than this only (IMO) provides a place for detritus and all the other nasties to accumulate thus creating more liklyhood of gas pockets forming in the substrate!!

Now, for someone who practices a good maintenance routine this may not be a problem, but for those who don't a deeper gravel bed is a disaster waiting to happen.

Harmonic,

I appreciate your opinions and experiences being posted. It is always a good thing to have different options posted so people can have a variety of things to choose from when deciding on what is best for their tanks!!

Please keep posting as I for one find you posts informative and enjoy reading them!!

CM

No prob CM. We are very strict about our maintanence here, and sometimes I forget that keepers without help don't have the options I have. You're not the first to be skeptical on my use of 20H's for cichlids.

Don't worry man, difference doesn't offend me. Without it we couldn't learn. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back