Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hives

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there, Ive had my 2 platies sat in a 22g tank now for 6 weeks, one male one female.. still no fry! she is now pregnant i think but its taking time, what would you say is the easiest to breed, guppys or plattys? im going to get some more tomorow and want to know which is easiet to breed in a 22g, also how many of each should i get, i was thinking 6 females 3 males,..thanks

they are both very easy to breed. id go with platies. general rule i like to go buy is 1 male per 3 females but i think you'll be ok with 3/6. you dont need many because once you start getting young ones you'll have a ton.

if you want you could even try and breed both in that tank, but make sure things dont get too crowded.

they can take a few months to give birth though, so you gotta be patient.. all depends. make sure your temperatures, water levels and feedings are the best they can be, as happy fish make more babies.

yes i agree with fishaholic there as i have mollies and i thought the same as you hives that my femal wernt breeding but boy after her first batch she had them every 4 weeks i ended giving about 70 away as i didnt have the space so im sure you will have fry soon good luck

who is fishaholic ???? they are both easy to breed. i wouldnt even consider it breeding since its so easy. just wait a while and you will have more than you want

Edit: oh yeah, make sure you have food for the fry

i would get endlers livebearers. he reason they cant for the most part eat there young. the mouths of endlers are to small. so you should get plenty of young pretty fast and you can raise them in the same tanks. i started with 3 and now have 50 in a 10 gallon, so i had to move half to a 20 gallon :)

i would get endlers livebearers. he reason they cant for the most part eat there young. the mouths of endlers are to small. so you should get plenty of young pretty fast and you can raise them in the same tanks. i started with 3 and now have 50 in a 10 gallon, so i had to move half to a 20 gallon :)

I've always wanted endlers but I can only find Male cobras. I can never find females. Can they breed with feeder females and still have a nice endler line?

I've always wanted endlers but I can only find Male cobras. I can never find females. Can they breed with feeder females and still have a nice endler line?

um good question. i would assume since females are in general drab as heck and have very few colors thats this might be a possibility. maybe go buy a feeder guppy female and a fancy female guppy and buy a male endler and see which ones grow up how :) its amazing how many color combinations you can get. so far my endlers that breed with either female endlers or fancy guppy endlers both turn out very colorful, although i have not tried it with a feeder guppy

Once you breed them with Feeder Guppies *poof* there goes your pure Endler line. So many are already hybridised with Guppies, that if you find pure Endlers, please don't breed them with Guppies. Endlers are extinct/close to extinct in the wild, so we want to keep as many pure ones pure as we can. Almost all the Fancy Guppies you see today have Endler in them, so it's not like it's a new phenomonon. ;)

Once you breed them with Feeder Guppies *poof* there goes your pure Endler line. So many are already hybridised with Guppies, that if you find pure Endlers, please don't breed them with Guppies. Endlers are extinct/close to extinct in the wild, so we want to keep as many pure ones pure as we can. Almost all the Fancy Guppies you see today have Endler in them, so it's not like it's a new phenomonon. ;)

So if I can't find any female endlers then can I keep a male with a feeder guppy female and have babies that look endler?

So if I can't find any female endlers then can I keep a male with a feeder guppy female and have babies that look endler?

What Annastasia just said; it's a threatened species, prob extinct in the wild. We need to protect it. You might well get babies that looked endler-like- but there are plenty of guppies that already have endler in them, so why not buy them instead of mucking up the few pure-bred endlers there still are?

What Annastasia just said; it's a threatened species, prob extinct in the wild. We need to protect it. You might well get babies that looked endler-like- but there are plenty of guppies that already have endler in them, so why not buy them instead of mucking up the few pure-bred endlers there still are?

I know that but the store has like hundreds of males only I don't see any females at all. I also like thier size better than regular guppies. And if I can't even find a female, then should I just let it be a single male. I understand that Endlers should not be mix anymore and if I found a female I would definatly not cross them. I would let them have a pure endler trait, but without any females, whats the use?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back