Breeding Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

StarfireGraves

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ello,

Im not too new or anything (I don't have years but I know enough to keep my fish alive, happy and healthy) I just have a random question I want to ask;

Can a Guppy and Platy breed?

I breed both platys and guppys and I was just wondering because I have always kept them in seperate tanks. Anyway, its random XD 

Hugs and Smiles,
~Holly

Hmmmmm I don't see why they wouldn't be able to breed. I know I saw a lot of hubbub about cross breeding fish so I gather doing that is not widely accepted *shrug*.

GuppyGirl20 said:
Hmmmmm I don't see why they wouldn't be able to breed. I know I saw a lot of hubbub about cross breeding fish so I gather doing that is not widely excepted *shrug*.
Haha I don't really care personally if it would be frowned apon by my fellow fish people XD I think it would be cool. Maybe my next tank I get will be a little one to test this theory.

Ha, that's cool, go for it then. I would be interested in hearing the results. 

GuppyGirl20 said:
Ha, that's cool, go for it then. I would be interested in hearing the results. 
Yeah haha, now just to convince my parents to get me a 3rd tank haha

Guppies and platies are not closely related enough to hybridise.

guppies are in the poecilia genus while platies come from variatus genus.
which means they can never interbreed because of the same reasons humans cant interbreed with gorillas.
their chromosome numbers are actually varying from genus to genus

DerpPH said:
guppies are in the poecilia genus while platies come from variatus genus.
which means they can never interbreed because of the same reasons humans cant interbreed with gorillas.
their chromosome numbers are actually varying from genus to genus

Awesome, haha an explanation I get XD (Imma science nerd but have been running on 0 energy the past few days so thinking hard doesnt work haha) Thank you :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back