breeding pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phalloceros

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it would be a cool project to try and breed a type of pleco in my 32 gallon tank.

what type of pleco breeds relatively easy? and is suitable for this size tank.

I've thought about:
- bristlenose pleco (Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus) (albino, longfin included) but the young are hard to "get rid of" the marked seems pretty much saturated.
- clown pleco (Panaqolus maccus), according to planet catfish is relatively easy, but not a lot of people seem to get the job done? maybe someone here had a bit of luck?
- columbian zebra pleco (Hypancistrus debiliterra) seems okay, but these are quite expensive around here (about 45 dollar)
- leopard frog pleco (Peckoltia compta) maybe the best bet?

if you have a good idea let me know, the co inhabitants will be some small livebearers, cory cat and cherry shrimp, but these can be moved if neccessery.

Bristlenose plecs breed like rabbits, but as you say, the market is saturated. My project plecos are L199s, Hypancistrus furunculus. I'm waiting for them to fully mature, so no luck yet, but from my research, all of the small Hypancistrus species -- and there are lots of them -- are relatively straightforward to breed so long as your tank provides the right conditions. Correct temperature for whatever species you have, very clean water, and lots of flow.

For about five minutes, I considered getting a male clown pleco to pair with my female, but triggering spawning looks faffy. I think that's true of many Panaque species.

The Pekoltias look like they have similar requirements to the Hypancistrus, so that's probably not a bad bet. Lots of breeding reports for them on PlanetCatfish.

Ahh the big thing with hypancistrus and peckoltia species is still the price, I still have a small bit of hope I have a longfin bristlenose albino female, the longfin ones seem to have a bigger marked and it’s worth a try.

hypancistrus furunculus is also a very pretty species!

Not all Hypancistrus cost an arm and a leg, at least not in the UK. I see you're in Holland. I would imagine fish prices on the continent to not wildly differ from the UK, but who knows! My L199s were £25 per head, which I thought was palatable. I know L340s, which I've seen at a few LFS's, also go for around £25.

My local lfs actually doesn’t sell a lot of plecs so it’s hard to see the prices, in other places in Holland I found (on the internet) H. furunculus for about 30 dollar, the l340 I cannot find

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back